Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bypassing heater questions...

1. Back To Top    #1

Bypassing heater questions...

Hi All,

Ever closer to getting my new house with the pool and had a question on the heater. I am going to open the pool myself, it looks fairly straightforward and I am going to be converting from Baquacil from day one after the pump is running with BBB.
    I know nothing about the pool heater other than it's a minimax 400. Do i need to have the pilot light on or can I just run water through it completely off?
    I wanted to convert from Baquacil and I have no need to heat from my understanding at this stage. Once I'm a few days into the conversion, can I simply shut the pump off, ignite the pilot and start heating or are these things required to be on at all times?

Thanks in advance.....24 days left and she's mine

Danny
    25k Inground Vinyl - 3ft to 10ft, Tagelus TA-60 Sand, Minimax 400 Heater, Save T3 autocover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bypassing heater questions...

You can simply ignore the heater until you want heat. The only thing you need to check is that the drain plug, if there is one, is installed, or the drain valve, if there is one, is closed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason.
    So I do not need to put the pilot light on either?

I'm donating to all the help you guys have given me on this so far - I really appreciate it
    25k Inground Vinyl - 3ft to 10ft, Tagelus TA-60 Sand, Minimax 400 Heater, Save T3 autocover.

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't need to leave the pilot on unless you're going to use it. If it's an easy valve to turn, it's a good idea to turn the gas off to the heater if the pilot isn't going to be on. You also don't need to turn the pump off when lighting the pilot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Cheers Spishex!