Pumps advice needed

amati5

Sep 13, 2011
So Cal

Back in 2011 I replaced my old 2hp pump with Whisperflow 1 1/2 HP, 2 speed (above). At first, low speed worked with the cleaner KK because at the same time, I installed a brand new filter. After the filter (cartridge) got older and even after wash, the flow was not as high as when it was brand new and the KK stopped working. Since then, I had to use full speed. As you can see the chart above, it was either too low at C curve or too high (may be) at H curve.

Now I am thinking about the a single speed that is just enough to work the KK and save energy as much as possible. I looked at the Amp rating I was confused as why single speed pump has 2 ratings. Here are my questions:

The two amp ratings on the single speed are for 120v and 240V?

Which one of the single speed above should I get? They are in the E, F and G curve which seems much better than C but i am not sure if sufficient enough to run the KK. But the amp rating on the 2 speed looks quite low, too so I am not sure if I will save anything or worth buying a new one. I can always use the 2 speed for my fountain, or spa if I buy a new one so it wont be a waste. Anyone has one of the above single speed pump that work with the KK through a 420 Sq ft cartridge filter?

Thx

No for the first question. For motors that work on multiple voltages, the voltage is just across the windings differently (series vs. parallel) and the motor doesn't care one lick which voltage you power it with, it sees the same voltage regardless and therefore the motor uses the same power, etc. The 120 or 240 is for human convenience in other words. :)

Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters See if this helps. There is a link there for more thorough cleaning.

Thx for your reply. So the amp rating is the range that the motor uses? What about the 2 amp ratings for the 2 speed? It's not for full and 1/2 speed either? Just a range?

Any idea why the 3/4 and 1 hp have higher amp rating than the 1 1/2 hp 2-speed (I assume that the higher amp rating of the 2-speed is for full speed). They all are Whisperflow series.

I researched so much on how to clean the cartridge filters but at the end I realized no way I can get them to move water as when they were brand new. Actually some people were surprised how I got the KK to work with half speed because I didn't mention it was a brand new filter when I posted a while ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.