First test number are in!

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
My first use of my TF-100 Test kit today. Not real bad, not real good.....but here is what I got.

FC: 6.5
CC: .5
PH: 6.8
TA: 80
CYA: 20

No salt added yet, we are waiting on a cable for the Cell.

What you guys think? It is a work in progress now!

East stuff. Raise the CYA by at least 10 ppm for a target of 30, maybe even 40 if you get good sun. Use the sock method of soaking the stabilizer. At the same time, raise pH right away to at least 7.2. PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Those should be your first items to tackle. Good job with the TF-100!

You mentioned salt. So once you install your SWG or get it operational, raise CYA to at least 70. But that looks like it will be later. :)

If it was granular stabilizer, then do not add any more at this time. Actually, for future reference, they should not have added it that way. They had to keep moving it around because it can damage the liner if the granulates are allowed to sit in one spot. That's why we suggest soaking/suspending in a sock. But since it's in, just check again in about a week and adjust as needed. But definitely adjust that pH right away. 6.8 is quite low for pH.

Congrats I see you got to officially break in the new test kit, Whoo Hoo Go You!!! :).

Adjusting the pH as Texas said up to least 7.2ppm should be the 1st thing to do. If you need any assistance calculating the amount of chemicals you need to add to increase the pH to at least 7.2ppm, or if you want us to double check your calculation before you add since you are new at doing this, just holler, and we'll be glad to assist.

If they added ABOUT 3 pounds by Pool Math calculations that should raise the CYA in your pool by about 16ppm (20 (Your current reading)+16ppm (from 3 pounds added) =CYA of 36ppm). We round up so well will estimate it at 40ppm CYA. So per the Chlorine/CYA chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

With an estimated 40ppm CYA, your Chlorine(FC levels would be Minimum of 3ppm, Target of 5ppm), (A lot of us like to actually keep our chlorine Target 1-2ppm higher to prevent dropping below the minimum at any time). This should be a good baseline to maintain your chlorine levels at until you can check the level of CYA in a week when all they added should then be registering. Your FC reading of 6.5ppm is right on the money, with the slight 1-2ppm increase, for that estimated CYA level, so you are good to go there. Just continue to Maintain your chlorine in that area never allowing your FC to drop below 3ppm because that's when algae can start growing, and you should be in very good shape.

As Texas mentioned once your SWG is installed and working, we'll have you raise your CYA level at that time accordingly. You will also be using the bottom of the Chlorine/CYA chart for SWG Pools when that happens, but for now we are using the top section of the Chlorine/CYA chart. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

The readings ALL look like you did an awesome job on your 1st official check with your new kit. You are well on your way to being a new pool owner, who can independently manage, and level your pool as needed.

I don't know if we mentioned It before or not, so I'll mention it again just in case we didn't. You can also use a 10ml water sample instead of a 25ml sample, and this helps to save a lot of reagents. When using a 10ml sample you only need to add 1 scoop of the powder, and as long as when checking the FC level, it turns a nice med pink color, multiple the number of drops by 0.5, and the readings should be fine. Here is a link for the extended testing methods. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

You are doing great. Have a wonderful night. Just holler back if you have any questions. :)

Funny how the pool school works! I have read 100's of hours on everything on this site, and read so many of the forum threads. Now that my pool is complete and I have my first set of numbers in, it's like I haven't read anything now. I don't remember this technique to the next one in adding chemicals, and which ones do what. I will keep reading and learning, I just got remember how to remember now!!!!

LOL I completely understand. Yes, it all seems very Overwhelming at 1st, but you'll get the hang of it before you know it.

Remember, we're all here to help you, so you are NOT alone. If you get in a bind, or aren't sure about something, please don't hesitate to ask because we will be happy to assist. Have a wonderful night. Get ya some good rest tonight, and just start fresh in the morning. You Got This!! :)

Hello,

The levels look really good this morning.

Did you just manually add salt, or is your SWG now going?

If you manually added salt then you don't need to do anything else Yet.

If the SWG is now functioning or when it starts functioning, as soon as you can read the CYA level for what's in there you'll want to ensure the CYA is at 70-80ppm which is the recommended CYA when you have a SWG.

Do watch the CC to ensure it doesn't rise any further since the mud episode. Other than that everything looks awesome.

Have a safe Labor Day weekend. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes that makes perfect sense. The 0.5 CC is fine but just check it every couple of days until you are sure they didn't introduce something in there when they let all the mud in. Personally, I don't see you having any issues whatsoever., but better safe than sorry. :)

Again since the SWG is running as soon as your CYA add from the other day is registering (by my calculations it should read close to 36ppm IF they did actually add 3 pounds of stabilizer). But check the CYA level when able, and then add in small increments, enough stabilizer to raise it to say 70ppm to start.

****(Reminder, You can always add more stabilizer after the other starts registering if needed, but you will have to drain to get it back out, so add smaller amounts say 1/2 to 3/4th of the suggested amount, instead of one large amount, as to ensure you don't accidently over shoot your recommended level).****

I agree with Kim on putting a bucket, a plastic tote or kiddy pool there by your pool for the kiddos to rinse the grass/mud of their little feet before getting into your sparkling clean pool. This will save you a lot of work from having to vacuum it out. Your pool and numbers look great. Have a wonderful and Safe Labor Day Weekend.

Funny how the pool school works! I have read 100's of hours on everything on this site, and read so many of the forum threads. Now that my pool is complete and I have my first set of numbers in, it's like I haven't read anything now. I don't remember this technique to the next one in adding chemicals, and which ones do what. I will keep reading and learning, I just got remember how to remember now!!!!

I was just in your position. I'm starting to get a handle on this after several months. I think I am getting close to graduation, at least for the lower grades.:D

Look like you are zeroing in on your levels pretty fast! Congrats!

Hello .

Yeah it appears that since the SWG has been started the pH and TA are both increasing which isn't uncommon.

You'll have to find the spot Your pool likes to get it to remain more consistent. Generally a TA of between 60-70ppm with a SWG is what is recommended to keep your pH from constantly rising on you.

What is suggested is that in order to fix the issue. Use enough MA to Lower your pH to 7.2ppm which will also help lower the TA some too, and then use aeration to bring the pH back up to the mid 7's range. Do this as many times as needed to get your TA to the 60-70ppm range and it will help stop the pH TA fluctuations.

The FC will be depleted some by the sun, etc., and until we have an exact CYA reading it will difficult to say what your FC level needs to be so just base it for now on the 70ppm CYA level per the Chlorine/CYA chart because that is the anticipated level after the last Stabilizer add. (Ensure the SWG doesn't put the FC much higher than the recommended level for your current -(anticipated CYA level) 1-2pppm higher than TARGET is fine, but if it gets higher than that lower the % on the SWG back down some. 3-5ppm is the minimum and target levels for a 70ppm CYA. So always maintain your FC level ABOVE 3 to prevent algae, and no higher than around 7ppm.

Once the last stabilizer add is registering (which it should be any day now), then adjust, and MAINTAIN your FC level accordingly to what the actual reading is. If the CYA is below 70ppm add enough stabilizer to bring it up some more. You want your CYA level to be 70 -80ppm with the SWG.

I hope this helps. Have a fun and safe Labor Day :)

No CYA from your add the other day showing yet? Humm, I agree I would have thought you'd be seeing some change by now it's been 7 days today, since they added and I think 5 days since you added, after the SWG install, hasn't it?

What was your CYA when you checked it today?

It will be hard to tell if the chlorine is holding better, or not from the adds because of the SWG, but I too would think it should be registering If they added 3 pounds, and you added enough to get it from 36-40 up to 70ppm after that.

Also what Brand of stabilizer did you use?

There is one brand that some people have been having issues like this with, and that is the HTH brand.

Stabilizer added real late last Wednesday, so Five days since that. SWG was added midday Friday, so that's been 3 days.
Pool life is name brand of stabilizer. I'm thinking more stabilizer in a sock this evening. It was still 20 this morning.

pool people actually added 3 lbs last week. Nothing since then!!

The pool guys add was 7 days ago, yours with 5 days ago so you should be seeing at least something by now. I'm not sure with it being a new pool if that has any effect on how quickly it registers or not.

Give your add from the other day another 2 days to show up to be on the safe side, and not risk getting it too high.

Then if it's not showing in 2 days, then add enough stabilizer to raise it from 20 to let's say 50 just incase some more of the other decides to register after the week is up. I don't for see it happening, but it might, so better to shot a little lower, and add more later, if it doesn't, than to add a higher amount, and then get it too high should the other start registering. LOL you, and I both know it's in there because you put it in there, so lol I wonder where the heck it's hiding at?

Apparently the pool guys didn't add 3 pounds because that should have placed your CYA at 36-40ppm range just from their add alone. So hopefully giving it the extra 2 days will allow all the CYA to finally decide to come out and play lol.

Others with more knowledge, and experience might be able to offer you more advice with it being a new pool, new SWG etc. They may say it's been long enough go ahead and add now, but I personally don't feel comfortable saying that until the full 7 days is up because I'd sure hate to see you have to drain any portion of your new pool from me making a bad call on when to add more stabilizer. (Again we know it's in there, somewhere). LOL Have a wonderful day. :)

Anyway give that a try, and we'll go from there.

EDIT: *****KY are you saying in comment #17 that you did NOT add any stabilizer to raise the CYA from the anticipated 36-40ppm from the pool builder's add, to bring it up to the 70ppm for your SWG?

If that is the case, and You've not personally added any additional stabilizer to your new pool, then Yes, please do add enough tonight to go up from their anticipated 40ppm up to 70ppm.

Sorry for the confusion. I did not see the bottom line of that post when I initially read it. I was under the assumption that the pool builders had added their 3 pounds of stabilizer on the 2nd, and then You had also added some more a couple days later to raise from their anticipated level up to 70ppm because of the SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.