Do you secure the skimmer cover with screws when winterizing pool?

yangcha1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
Central Maryland
I have a question, do you secure the skimmer cover to skimmer with screws when winterizing pool? If so, is it possible to make the ice inside to crack the skimmer house in winter time? Thanks.

P1010754%20SCREW%20EDIT.jpg

My pool cover sits on top of the skimmer covers so I always thought that was enough for me. As for icing, I use gizmos which not only plug the skimmer but they also protect the skimmer from the ice. You can also cut a piece of a noodle and jam it into the skimmer for added protection.

The general idea is to minimize the volume which water could occupy in the skimmer body over the winter months. So you can add tightly fitting plastics ('styrofoam peanuts' in a garbage bag, pool-noodle like compressible packing materials ) right up to the skimmer cover. I would not fix the cover with screws; you may want to access it over the winter. I use horizontal plastic pieces in the skimmer throat and entry.

You can use two partially filled RV antifreez bottles. One in the bottom, and the second wedged at an angle to hold it all down. Last year I bought a "gizmo" from amazon and it's the way to go. Cheap and works great. Plus it acts as the plug too so in the spring you don't have to reach down into the goo to pull the skimmer plug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.