Numbers to adjust from

Jul 16, 2007
The pool looks pretty good. It was beginning to turn green so I took the chlorine up to 14.
It has been leaking a little all winter and I think I have it fixed now so I don't have any CYA.
I've never had to adjust much on TA. Right now it is off a little so I want to get some advice before I add something stupid or expensive.
Chlorine 14
Free 100%
TA 70
PH 8.2 (off the scale)
CYA none

I wanted to start by taking the chlorine up to kill the algae. There isn't much.

What do you think?

What are you testing with?

Your water is green, your FC is 14 and you are saying you have no CC reading?
You're saying your TC is also 14?

If your CYA is really zero shocking that high could damage your pool. You need the CYA to act as a buffer of sorts....

The TA is fine. The PH is probably reading high because your FC is high.

"There isn't much" do you mean algae?

Keep your filter running 24/7 until your water is clear and balanced properly.

With CYA at zero, or very little, CYA, your FC level should fall quickly tomorrow during the day. Sometime when the FC level is below 10, test the PH. If the PH is still high at that time you should adjust it down to between 7.5 and 7.8.

You want to start adding CYA soon, if you haven't already. I suggest raising CYA to 30 right now, give it a week, and then test again to see where you ended up and make any further adjustments you need to at that point.

TA is fine where it is for now. When things settle down you can fine tune the TA level.

Yes the pool had a little algae. For some reason it is hard to fight in the spring when all of the pollen and stuff from the neighbors trees start coming in. I thought I understood from here that you want to take the chloring up to about 15 at night then test again in the morning to see what was used in the night. I thought the general rule was that when you lost less than 2 points you had probably eliminated the algae. I figured that I wanted to do that before I worked to bring the stablizer up so it wouldn't take as much chlorine. I also thought that when I brought the algae under control that the chlorine would go away pretty quick without the CYA to keep it in.
I may have gotten this screwed up but I do know that if I don't fight this algae agressively I will be pouring chlorine in a green pool half the summer.
Am I going about this in the wrong way?

The criteria for shocking to kill algae is you can stop when you lose less than 1ppm FC during an overnight test; your CC is .5 or less and your water is clear. Otherwise keep shocking. I clarified with Jason that if the CYA is really zero a safe level to shock is 10ppm of FC. You are right you will lose your FC to sunlight rapidly if you have no CYA. I would still recommend you get it in there, at least to 30 that will help the chlorine to do it's job during the day and you aren't wasting it on the sun :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.