CYA Increasing Over Time

Hello All,

As a newbie, I have been testing my water on a weekly basis to include pH, Alkalinity, Free and Combined Chlorine, CYA, Hardness and Salt levels utilizing a Taylor K2006-S test kit. I have learned on a general level, how my pool reacts to our environmental factors, etc. I have a good understanding of the chemistry changes, how long they take to occur, etc. in order to maintain the chemistry as close to the recommended ideal range as possible. But I have now come across an issue that I can't quite figure out and therefore, don't know how to correct it.

At the beginning of this season, I established the CYA (stabilizer) levels to the 30-50 ppm range. It held steady over the course of the hotter summer months, but has recently (over the past two to three weeks), has slowly increased up to the 80-100 ppm range. I add Baking Soda about every three weeks or so to bump up to alkalinity to the upper end of the ideal range of 80-100, and use muriatic acid to lower the pH on a weekly basis. Other than that, I add nothing. I use my Chlorine Generator to maintain the free Chlorine around 2-5 ppm mark with no issues.

I have read other threads on here about how CYA reacts and changes, but I can't find one that may explain this type of increase and what I can do to correct it.

Any help from the Jedi masters will be appreciated.

I've not heard of seen any discussions that attribute CYA increase to anything other than the use of tablets/pucks, bags-of-shock, etc. However I will say that as a SWG pool owner, your CYA "should" be between 70-80. Any chance you actually increased it as directed and simply forgot? :confused:

Adding baking soda and then adding acid is a waste of money. You should be targeting a lower TA level to get out of that vicious cycle. I don't know where you are getting the "ideal range" of 80-100 and you should not be targeting the high end of that anyway. The Recommended Levels for an SWG pool is a TA of 60-80 ppm.

Thanks for the response. I used the ideal range as shown in the APSP recommended water chemistry guidelines as shown in the K2006-S booklet. I have never seen a separate guide just for an SWG pool. And you are right, it is rather vicious....I will check out your provided link. The other thing I did differently tonight when performing the CYA analysis, I performed it outdoors in the shade to see if the readings would be different than those normally performed in the garage under the overhead fluorescent lights. I performed it three times wit a reading of 70 ppm versus the 80-90 I read in the garage. I will continue to do so. Again, thanks for you advice - work smarter, not harder.

I will also lower the TA to the recommended levels and then monitor closely. Next season, I plan on incorporating borates into the mix to help with the pH.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.