Losing pressure while vacuuming

Apr 5, 2009
I have an inground pool and while vacuuming, I am losing pressure and sucking air. I think that I might have a leak in a suction line. How do I go about pressure testing this line and if it does have a leak, is there a way to fix it (run an internal sleeve or something) without digging up my yard to replace it.

Thanks

Darrell

Welcome! :wave:

Did you prime the vacume hose? If not, hook up the vacume and hose. Hold the end of the hose in front of the return and force the water through, removing the air. You will see the bubbles break the surface and the vacume may rise up a bit and then sink again. Keep the end of the hose under the water level and then hook it up to the vacume port. This ensures no air is in the hose and you should get proper suction. If that's not the solution, the equipment experts will be along shortly to chime in. Let us know you results! :)

Welcome to TFP!!

I think what Ann (frustratedpoolmom) is trying to get at is to check for other possible solutions before suspecting a faulty line. While it's possible to have a leak in the suction line, you'd probably notice air in the pump even without the vacuum attached - though using the vacuum would exacerbate the air.

How and where do you attach the vacuum? Do you have another suction line, like a main drain or skimmer? If you're vacuuming through the skimmer, all you may need to do is turn the hose around (many vac hoses have 1 end with a swivel cuff, that end will draw air and should be on the vacuum head)

Let us know a little more about this and we'll help you decide if a leak in the line is probable and, if so, how to test the line. :-D

Loss of pressure while vacuuming is usually an indication of a clogged line somewhere. Check the vacuum head, hose and suction line for some sort of blockage. The blockage would also create air in the pump basket.

An air leak would not drop the filter pressure unless it was a very large leak and the pump was losing prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.