Where do these pipes go?

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
I bought this system off craigslist and understand everything except one or two pipes. The red circle on the left, is where I cut the pipe off. I attached a pic of what I cut off. Not sure where it went or what its purpose was. The red circle on the right with the jandy valve, I assume is a backflush? There is a water spigot not shown (the fileter is hiding it). Also, those are dual salt cells on the left coming from the heater discharge. With is plumbed that way, I need to make sure that I'm not over chlorinating the spa right? If I keep it turned on when the spa spillway is on, will it still over chlorinate the spa or is that okay to do?

Attachments

• IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 148
The black valve on the small piece of pipe is a check valve, but I can't imagine what that pipe would do. In that spot it would tap off water from before the heater, which isn't commonly done.

The right hand red circle looks like a way to pump water to waste. There isn't a main valve, and I don't see enough connections to backwash without a main valve, so I assume that is a Sta-Rite cartridge filter and there is no backwash.

Yes, dual SWG cells. This system would have had an automation controller, which took care of lowering the SWG output when the system was in spa mode. If you don't have the automation controller, you will need to come up with some other way of preventing the SWG from running while in spa mode. Running the SWG while in overflow mode is fine.

Cool, glad I'm not the only one. As far as the salt cells go, I did get a control box, but the only wiring coming out is the leads that go to the cell, and the main voltage lines that were wired to the load side of the pump relay. So it looks like I will just wire it to a seperate relay to prevent it from running while the spa is on. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.