Making sure im on the right track but at a stump.

Hi guys, so I'm new here as a member but Ive fixed several issues in the past due to this site. I have a Salt water system. I bought the house a year and 2 months ago. The pool has been giving issues all the time, I cant run smooth for a month. First, the pool pump went bad and replaced it, the filter I have is octopus like and I took it out and cleaned it on several occasions and adding the appropriate DE post clean, no flow light was on fixed and changed out the no flow sensor. Then pool ran great until no POWER or GENERATING light was showing, so I purchased a current limiter and replaced that on the circuit board. Things went well after that. Now my problem is the NO FLOW light is permanently on (New flow sensor already in place). I back washed and the light showed GENERATING again. I check back 20 minutes, and its back to a fixed NO FLOW light. I do not know what is going on at this point, and the pool is green with tadpoles already in it (of course this has to have been for couple days which caught my attention to speculate and why I figured there was a problem)

Any suggestions on what to do next? How do I know my salt cell is bad? I already cleaned it..

Thanks and your feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

You would have to do some calculations, but many times higher % chlorinating liquid (the stuff the pool stores sell) works out to be less expensive. You are lucky to have it readily available in South Florida. But, when you go to the pool store to buy it stay away from the quick fix gimmicks.

Also be aware the higher the strength of bleach / liquid chlorine the shorter its shelf life, so try to buy fresh stuff, otherwise you may not be getting the strength you are paying for.
Most of the South Florida pool stores have huge tanks of the stuff and just refill returnable 2.5 gallon containers. That is the down side in that there is no way to know the freshness of the stuff.

I have friends that worked their way through high school just filling those bottles. I bet OSHA won't let kids do it anymore.....

So I purchased two individual tests the CYA and the FAS-DPD. I have a Taylor kit K-1004 so I didn't want to purchase a whole kit for now at least. Here in Miami the weather has been real crappy and practically its been raining everyday. Should I continue and attempt the SLAM process or should I wait?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to put some CYA in the pool. I wold start with a target of 20, just in case there is some in there. You don't want to overshoot on CYA at this point. You want between 30 and 40 for the SLAM. Other wise you'll lose chlorine to the sun.
What was your pH? It should be around 7.2 for SLAM time.
Then it's on to the SLAM!!

^just an extra note about the "no cya" observation : to run an swg properly, see the chlorine:cya chart link in my signature. For the slam, keep it lower at the 30 suggested, but when you're finished the Slam, bring it up per the chart.

I tested the CYA level with the TFT test kit and It filled up all the way and I could still see the back dot.. Any thoughts on that result?
Sorry, I've been in the woods for a couple of days. As has been noted, if its clear to teh top you have little of no CYA in the water. It is available at most big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot or WalMart. Generally it is going to be lableled as Stabilizer with CYA as the ingredient.

Awesome guys thanks a lot. Now I'm in another problem. Since TIM said that SW systems aren't meant to slam, I turned off the computer and replaced the salt fell with a GLX straight pipe to run it as a "chlorine pool". I can't SLAM the pool. Like I said it's a domino effect of problems. I noticed as I was going to start slamming, that there is no water pressure going into the pool pump chamber. So I've done several tests. I bought a bladder and tried to see if there was a clot on the inlet pipes and nothing, water flows great. I back washed the filter and the water came in strong to the pool pump chamber but no pressure out of the jets. I also checked for leaks and nothing. I primped the pump also by closing inlet and oulet valves, filling pool pump chamber, and loosening the air pressure release on the filter which then I opened all valves, and turned pool on until water came out he air release on the filter. All these interventions and nothing. Pump is new less than I believe 6 months old. So right now seems like good pressure on the pump and no pressure out the pool jets.

Tomorrow I will take it out and clean it out. I'll provide an update then. Although this is weird because I was told its to be cleaned every 6 months. I cleaned it less than 3 weeks ago when the pool wasn't green. This is frustrating. Also there is only one outlet valve. I will also try to post a picture of my set up.

green pools will clog filters very quickly due to all the additional algae it needs to filter out. during a SLAM when you are killing it off, its not unheard of to have to backwash a sand filter once a day at the beginning. you need to just go off the pressure guage. do a good cleaning of the filter and let it run a bit. note the pressure on the gauge, this is your "clean" pressure. you need to backwash once your pressure increases 25%. so if your clean pressure is 10psi, backwash when it hits 12.5 psi

Update: DaninFLA thanks an yes the filter was filthy. I noticed the sand will sit in the bottom and cause the pump not to push water through so a back wash and cleaning the filter out was performed. I havent officially started slamming just only adding chlorine for now because it is literally raining every day periodically and it just messes everything up. At this moment how much DE do you insert after a backwash? 25%, 50% or a full refill? the pool is blue and clear. but there is black algae on the parts where the diamond brite is off...

Update: DaninFLA thanks an yes the filter was filthy. I noticed the sand will sit in the bottom and cause the pump not to push water through so a back wash and cleaning the filter out was performed. I havent officially started slamming just only adding chlorine for now because it is literally raining every day periodically and it just messes everything up. At this moment how much DE do you insert after a backwash? 25%, 50% or a full refill? the pool is blue and clear. but there is black algae on the parts where the diamond brite is off...

rain has no effect on your chlorine usage, the amount of rain that dilutes your pool volume is very small, and typically less than the margin of error in testing. no need to delay SLAM due to rain.

sorry, I don't have a sand filter, but when you are doing your SLAM you don't want to add DE, it will clog very very quickly. just use the sand media and backwash as discussed. once you get towards the end of the SLAM, DE can be added to get that last 5% of stuff in the water that your sand cant filter out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.