Help with selecting t-cell for Aqua Rite

lews

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 24, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
I have a 24,150 gallon in ground plaster salt water pool. 8 years old. I bought a t-9 cell two years ago and it's been a problem since. My salt readings are off and the chlorine generation is very low to nothing. I can't get any chlorine reading on the outlet. All the lights seem fine and the cell looks fine but I really have no choice but to buy another cell. Amazon lists two cells. I was recommended to go with a t-15 (on this forum). The price isn't much different so I guess I will even thought its for 40K gallon. Actually Amazon has a GLX turbo cell for $400 for 40k and $385 for 25K. Go figure. It fits Fits hayward goldline aqua rite pro salt chlorination and chemistry automation model aqr-pro
Also fits hayward goldline aqua plus salt chlorination and chemistry automation model pl-plus
40K-Gallons; 4000 hour plate

The other Amazon option doesn't say GLX or anything - it says it fits Goldline AQR - PRO, AQR, or AQR-X296, or Goldline controllers. There's a big difference in price $335 for 25K gal and $409 for 40K.

The only thing on my control box is : GL-939001D on the door it says: 5A0707-1029534 EP097

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Going with a SWG that's oversized (recommended for 2x your pool volume) is what is recommended. This will allow you to run at a lower output percentage and extend the life of the cell with proper maintenance.

However, have you tried cleaning the cell? Instructions for cleaning it and removing potential scale inside the cell should be included in the manual.

Neither of the model numbers you gave tells me anything about your control unit, and there are many different ones. The GLX cell is for units that include chemistry automation. If your controller is just the basic salt water chlorine generator control box, you want the standard T-15 cell. Look carefully at the warranty offered though. Some have one year and some three years and there is little to no price difference.

There's your problem. You have the unit set for a T-15 cell, but you said you are using a T-9.

The panel should definitely be set to the type of T-cell you have. To change the T-cell value, hit the diagnostic button until you see T-15, then switch from AUTO to SUPER-CHLORINATE and back to AUTO. Each time you do that, you will cycle through to the next T-cell setting. Keep cycling until you select T-9 instead of T-15.

The T-9 cell will still be marginal in your size pool, but at least you will be putting out some chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It should be set to t-9. However, based on the numbers, the actual salt is probably over 4,500. The wrong setting has caused the salt level to read lower than actual. The high salt level has forced the t-9 to operate at the same output as a t-15. When you change the setting, the actual salt level will be displayed and might give a high salt error. Test the actual salt level.

Based on the numbers, it looks like the cell is making plenty of chlorine. The lack of chlorine is likely to be caused by something else.

You could just continue to operate it as is (set to t-15) by maintaining the salt according to the box as long as the box reads at least 2,700 ppm. The actual salt would be about 4,500 ppm, but that's what some SWGs use anyway. Edit (Not recommended) End edit.

Or, you could change the setting to t-9 and lower the salt to the correct level.

Note: The main circuit board has been replaced at some point.

Edit Note 2: The system should be operated as specified per the manufacturer's instructions. End edit.

From the manual (bold added):

To Set Turbo Cell Type
Before operation, the Aqua Rite must be configured for the chlorinator cell that will be used. Refer to the following information and steps below to set the Turbo cell type.
"t-3" = T-CELL-3, GLX-CELL-3-W "t-5" = GLX-CELL-5, GLX-CELL-5-W "t-9 = T-CELL-9, GLX-CELL-9-W "t-15" =T-CELL-15,GLX-CELL-15-W
1. Slide the Main Switch to the "Auto" position.
2. Push the Diagnostic button repeatedly until "t-xx" appears on the display ("t-15" is
the factory default). If the desired cell type is displayed skip to step 4.
3. To change to a different cell type, slide the Main Switch from "Auto" to "Super Chlorinate" and back to "Auto". Repeat this process until the desired cell type is
displayed.
4. Push the Diagnostic button to exit.

You are correct. It should be operated as shown in the manual.

I just noted that it could be operated as set. However, I should have specified that that was not a good option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.