Can the floating Baqua-goo be flocculated?

shimmy

Sep 2, 2015
Cloverdale, Ohio
I just started my conversion 24 hours ago. It appears to be going well as it has gone from green to brown to cloudy. I swept the Baqua-goo too waste but a lot still remains floating. Is there a way to get those particles to floc together and settle them out quicker?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 63
The holes in the net must be too large to catch the floaties. They just bust apart and scatter. But they are settling out and I've been able to vacuum to waste twice so far. I can see the bottom of the 8' deep end but still a little cloudy. All in all it's going well.

The water doesn't change color when I add bleach now and the FC level is stabilizing. Just tested and it's at 15. Hopefully it'll be close to that in the morning.

Am I at a stage where I can install the SWG and add salt if the FC doesn't drop?

The answer is .... maybe. But you'd better off to just follow the conversion procedure and open a big can of P.O.P. - Pool Owner Patience.

I was on a conversion thread earlier this season where the poster was converting his Baquacil pool. He had used the Baquacil CDX products for a while and got sick of the sticker shock. He followed the conversion procedure to the tee and held his water at the 15ppm FC level for over 2 weeks and passed OCLT every night but still his water was cloudy. He did everything right - high chlorine, no CYA, filter running 24/7, DE in the sand filter to speed up filtration, removed light niches, etc, etc. However, even after two weeks he still had cloudy water. So, he asked to try a clarifier and, at that point, no one tried to stop him. It did not work. Then he asked if we would be willing to advise a flocculant. No one stopped him and he did and, when he followed the floc instructions and dosing EXACTLY, it worked. All the particulates settled to the bottom and he was able to vacuum to waste. Had the floc not worked, the poster was likely just going to drain the pool and start with fresh water so he was definitely at his wits end.

So I would say, when your conversion has been going on for 2+ weeks straight and you're still not clear, then you might be able to consider a floc. BUT, you will be advised to exhaust every other possibility before then. Floc's and clarifiers can be tricky to use and, if used incorrectly, they can cause a royal mess. So they are definitely a method of last resort.

Here's hoping your conversion goes smoothly and successfully with nothing but chlorine and a little POP. :angel:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.