Diluted Shock

I have a bucket of shock left over which I have already diluted. Is there a safe way to store this or should I just go ahead and get rid of it before someone gets poisoned? For the time being I have it way out in the front yard where nobody will come into contact with it but , if possible, I would like to save it until I need to shock again. any helped would be appreciated!

According to the ingredients label:

trichloro-s-triazinetrion 71.8%
boron sodium oxide (B-4 Na-7 O-7) pentahydrate 8.0%
other ingredients 20.2%

It is the Clorox brand "XTRA BLUE". Not my preference but all I could get at the time. I can't complain though, between their shock, their algaecide, and their Ph down, it stopped an algae bloom in its tracks. Regardless, I prefer not to waste what I have left if I can help it.

If your CYA isn't too high you can use it. Enter trichlor at the bottom of Poolmath in the Effects of adding chemicals to see how much CYA it will add to your pool.

I walked thru the Lowes pool supplies/chemicals just the other day and noticed all those new fangled Chlorox products. I'm not sure which product I specifically looked at but the "Blue" products seem to all contain copper.

Do you *want* to add metals to your pool? I sure don't!

I'd dump it and not buy it again. YMMV ;)

Yes, I saw that and stayed away from those particular products. The one I got was the 6 in 1 step 2 formula. As far as I could tell it doesn't contain any copper although I must admit it did the trick. But I agree, it is not my product of choice. But in a pinch you make due and this time I got lucky. The main thing I want to know is will it keep until I can use it next week since it is already diluted? I accidentally mixed too much and realized it after I stirred it up. After I added part of what I mixed into the pool and checked it the next morning the test confirmed my suspicions and I thanked my lucky stars I didn't add it all. I now have half a bucket of premixed shock that I really don't want to waste if I don't have to. But it won't be the end of the world if I did have to dump it!

What is your CYA level? If it's already too high (likely) then you will only add to that problem by using the tri-chlor.

If your CYA is too low, use of the tri-chlor is fine.....however, if it contains copper you will be back in trouble if you use it in your pool long-term

But, I think the OP's question was whether the material will deteriorate significantly if stored in this form. I'd also be curious how hazardous it is to handle, whether it's safe to put in a capped container, stuff like that. This is probably a question for Chem Geek, or someone else who understands the chemistry better than I do.

Concentrated solutions of chlorine degrade and the degradation rate is roughly proportional to the square of the hypochlorous acid concentration. If I assume you added the maximum amount of Trichlor that would saturate the solution, so around 8 ounces weight of Trichlor (about 11 ounces of product) in 5 gallons of water, then that would be around 11,000 ppm FC of low pH water (around 2.8) so would degrade rather quickly. You would probably smell chlorine gas from it. The chlorine would degrade into hydrochloric acid and chloric acid and when it does the remaining Cyanuric Acid (CYA) will precipitate (or coat the container) since it is less soluble than Trichlor.

If you did not dilute by as much, then you may not see the CYA precipitation, but the chlorine will still degrade, though not as quickly. Generally speaking, you want to add such concentrated chemicals directly into the pool water slowly over a return flow to get the most dilution as quickly as possible. Pre-dilution should not be necessary and can be detrimental especially for granular Trichlor.

Thank you! I will go ahead and dump it. I don't usually dilute the granules and I can't really explain why I did this time other than to say "brain fart"! My CYA levels are good and my water is sparkling clear so I don't want to screw it up by adding some defunct chemicals to the water! This is my first full season with the pool and I am still learning on the fly. Hopefully I have made enough mistakes this year, and learned from them, to hopefully have it down pat next season.

I will take this time to thank you and everyone else on this forum for putting your knowledge out there to help people like me. I live in a rural area but there is a pool store a couple miles up the road. The owner gives me attitude and gets very snotty because I dare to buy the bulk of my chemicals online so I can save some money. It doesn't matter that I still have spent about $400 dollars with her, it apparently isn't enough. She scoffs anytime I ask her a question. If I have her test my water it's because I know I'm going to need to buy some chemicals from her but she still complains "I'm losing money testing your water if you aren't buying your chemicals from me". Needless to say she has lost a customer. But I have to thank her because she is forcing me to learn this for myself. I will have my own test kit by next season and will go out of my way to NOT shop in her store.

So, again, thanks to everyone for your help for me and anyone else who asks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.