Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have a Jandy Lite 2 heater which controls my pump. I also have an evacuated tube solar heating system. If I were to lose electrical power for more than 5-10 minutes during the day I would not want my system to come back on until the next morning as running 85F water through the tubes would shatter them if it were a sunny day.

Is there a way to change the configuration of the Lite 2 controls so that it reverts to the off state if power is lost rather than keeping its state during a power loss?

The Jandy Lite 2 has a control panel to control the pump. I turn my pump on or off by pushing a button on the heater. The heater also has the timer that controls the daily on/off schedule.

Here is a link to the manual http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwiWgdiNitnHAhXLf5IKHQjwC_s&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jandy.com%2F~%2Fmedia%2Fzodiac%2Fglobal%2Fdownloads%2Fh%2Fh0248900.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGpDEymnD54Lw9kgo-fxXo6CSlYSA&sig2=GqyFWBIO0jO4NSYHVQEiug

Here is what the control panel looks like (the pump button is the last on the right):
p_laars_lite2_digital.gif

I don't know if the controller in you're heater has that capability but if it doesn't, you could use a latching relay circuit placed in-line with your pump relay. It would be placed either in-line with the red or the black wire that feed your power relay coil that come off the power circuit board (according to the Jandy schematic). You would also need a button switch to reset the latching relay after a power failure.

There's a great little video on YouTube about latching relays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7SuHDmuVUk

Basically, the latching relay would allow your pump relay to supply your pump with current as long as there is power available to your home. If a power interruption occurs, the latching relay will trip off, blocking power to your pump relay, and you would have to manually reset it by pushing a button switch to put your pump control relay back into the circuit.

Yes your heater can control the pump if it has the board to do so. Unfortunately there is no way to prevent the pump from coming on when power is restored if you lose power. You would need some sort of external device to do that.

Looking at the manual I see that there are some external control options. Would I be able to control my Jandy Lite2, in terms of turning the pump on or off an perhaps the heater from Pool-Spa-Off from low power relays, like from a Raspberry Pi or any other type of home automation system?

This is from the manual:
7.4.2 Pump Operation
The LJ controller allows two options for pump
control. It can allow operation of the pump by an
external time clock when it is set in the “External Time
Clock” mode (see Section 7.4.2.1). To operate in the
“External Time Clock” mode the controller must be
programmed with the factory default values indicated
in Table 6.
The LJ controller can also operate the pump in
the “Internal Time Clock” mode using it’s own internal
time clock to turn the pump on and off. This mode
requires the installation of the optional Jandy relay,
part number R0658100 (Refer to Figure 16 for wiring
diagram).

And then regarding heater control...
connected to the heater. To connect a remote ON/
OFF type switch to the heater, remove the wire nut
from the two red leads of the wire harness that
connects to the Fireman Switch connection on the
power circuit board (see Figure 19). Connect the wires
from the switch to the leads on the wire harness. This
type of remote control will turn the heater on or off,
but will not switch between pool and spa settings or
allow for temperature adjustments. These functions
are still controlled at the LJ controller on the heater.
The LJ heater also accommodates the use of a
more functional remote control. Remote controls that
provide their own temperature sensor such as the
Jandy AquaLink RS® remote control systems can be
wired to the Fireman Switch connection. The LJ
controller must first be set up to recognize the remote
mode. The set up consists of setting the 'PROGRAM'
(pump time clock) 'ON' and 'OFF' times to run for 24
hours, setting the controller function to 'SPA' and
setting the spa temperature to 104°F (40°C).

You certainly could however that's much more of a project than installing a latching relay and switch to deal with your original interest of power failure protection.
you're right but I am thinking of doing this for more sophisticated control options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.