Help. Help. Help.

May 26, 2015
Nicosia Cyprus
Hi. Well it's been a while since i was on here. And with you guy's help our pool has been fantastic. And here i am again on the best site for pool probs. But due to doing lots of of repair work around the bungalow. I tool my eye off the pool for a couple of day's and Bingo. The pool is now green and cloudy. We had some very heavy winds that blew lots of leaves and debris into the pool. I have Backwashed to waste but pool still green and cloudy. Added 1/2 bottle of Zerochlor

Zerochlor Home Page

It has helped a bit. But now think the filter is now blocked. I turned off all valves in the pump room and loosened the nuts on top of the filter. "See pic" But stopped as water was coming out, The question is how much water is in the filter? Do i just loosen the top and let the water run out? Bit worried as i don't want to flood the pump room.

Many thanks. Bill.

Photo filter.jpg

Bill, it's hard to tell from your pic, but you should have some 2 or 3-way valves before/after your pump that would isolate water flow from the pool to the pump. That way, when you loosen and remove the top portion of your filter, only the water from within the filter will spill-out. The closed valves should prevent water from flowing back to the filter from the pool.

As for the green, that's another story. That sounds like algae in which case you would need to "SLAM" via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

Hi. Well it's been a while since i was on here. And with you guy's help our pool has been fantastic. And here i am again on the best site for pool probs. But due to doing lots of of repair work around the bungalow. I tool my eye off the pool for a couple of day's and Bingo. The pool is now green and cloudy. We had some very heavy winds that blew lots of leaves and debris into the pool. I have Backwashed to waste but pool still green and cloudy. Added 1/2 bottle of Zerochlor

Zerochlor Home Page

It has helped a bit. But now think the filter is now blocked. I turned off all valves in the pump room and loosened the nuts on top of the filter. "See pic" But stopped as water was coming out, The question is how much water is in the filter? Do i just loosen the top and let the water run out? Bit worried as i don't want to flood the pump room.

Many thanks. Bill.

View attachment 42435
Hello!

As mentioned, you should have valves on the pipes that run between the pool & pump, and between the filter & pool. Close those valves. Be sure to open them before you turn on the pump!

Why did you turn to the Zerochlor? What were you attempting that Bleach/Chlorine could not do for you?

There are some rather interesting statements on the Zerochlor website, that's for sure......

zerochlor said:
When you dose chlorine into a pool, the chlorine breaks up into two components, chlorine gas and chlorine salts. The chlorine gas is the dis-infection agent while the salt is a by-product and nuisance in the filter. It usually gradually blocks the sand filter.
WOW! How the heck are all these SWG pool owners with sand filters getting by?? If the insignificant amount of salt in liquid chlorine blocks a sand filter, these SWG's must be turning them into bricks!

zerochlor said:
Normally the chlorine gas is volatile it will stay active in the pool for approximately 20 minutes. There after there is no or very little residual effect on the swimming pool water. Because of the volatility of the product it will have an even shorter active life span at higher temperatures. Any contamination of any kind that enters the facility after the twenty minutes will go untreated until the next dosing of the pool.
Interesting that every time I open a new bottle of chlorine and add chlorine to the pool I check my FC level 30-40 minutes later. Never has it been zero, NEVER.

If I was you, I would stay clear of that stuff. I can't find an MSDS for it & have no idea what the ingredients may be, and the statements on their website do not relate to the real-world experiences I (and others) have with a chlorine pool.

Dom

Hi. I was told by a friend to use Zerochlor by a friend as a quick fix. Will not go there again though. In the pump room there are Waste. Hoover. Main Drain. Inlet. & Balance/Check Valves. The Balance/Check Valve is to draw water from the balance tank. We do not have mains water here. We get our water from Water Tanker Trucks. And we fill the Balance Tank to draw water for the overflow system. So do you think if i close all the valves the only water that will run out is from the filter itself, surely there can't be a lot of water in there.

Many Thanks.

Bill.

Hi. I was told by a friend to use Zerochlor by a friend as a quick fix. Will not go there again though. In the pump room there are Waste. Hoover. Main Drain. Inlet. & Balance/Check Valves. The Balance/Check Valve is to draw water from the balance tank. We do not have mains water here. We get our water from Water Tanker Trucks. And we fill the Balance Tank to draw water for the overflow system. So do you think if i close all the valves the only water that will run out is from the filter itself, surely there can't be a lot of water in there.

Many Thanks.

Bill.
Can you post more pictures of your equipment? I'm not comfortable just telling you to start turning all the valves.

I am hoping that there is a valve just before your pump (or filter), & a valve right after the filter.

Dom

Hi again. OK Balance. Hoover & Main Drain valves all link into front of pump. Inlet valve links into multi function pipe from top of pump also links in to multi function. Waste pipe comes from back of multi function. The pump and filter is a Odina Ondina Kripsol swimming pool pump | Kripsol Rudy-shop.eu This pump is the same as ours.

And i can't find a air release valve. (The Balance Valve is used to draw water from a balance tank (Storage Tank) to use the pool on overflow as we do not have mains water here)

Photo 1.jpg Photo 3.jpg Photo 4.jpg
Waste Pipe Hoover Balance & Main Drain Inlet & Main Drain Valves

Hope this helps. Thank You.

Attachments

• odina pump.jpg
    odina pump.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 100
Hi again. OK Balance. Hoover & Main Drain valves all link into front of pump. Inlet valve links into multi function pipe from top of pump also links in to multi function. Waste pipe comes from back of multi function. The pump and filter is a Odina Ondina Kripsol swimming pool pump | Kripsol Rudy-shop.eu This pump is the same as ours.

And i can't find a air release valve. (The Balance Valve is used to draw water from a balance tank (Storage Tank) to use the pool on overflow as we do not have mains water here)

Waste Pipe Hoover Balance & Main Drain Inlet & Main Drain Valves

Hope this helps. Thank You.

Are these the balance & main drain (lower pipe) and waste, with the balance (lower left valve) closed? It's hard to read the labels in such small pictures.
View attachment 42442

Is this the return to the pool, and if so, is it the only return?
View attachment 42439

Can you take one more pic, with all the plumbing in the pic?

Dom

Hi All. OK got the top off the filter and all is OK. So got a bit annoyed with myself and chucked a load of Chlorine in the pool last night just as it got dark. And this morning the pool is almost clear. Topped up the pool as well. CL is high but the new water will clear some of that. PH is also high so will add some acid top bring it down. So thanks again for your help. Will now keep a very close eye on the pool now. It is going too hit hit 40C over the weekend here so will nice to get in the pool and cool off.

So lesson learned, look after the pool even if you are busy with other jobs.

Thanks again.

Bill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad to hear it all worked out Bill. And say, as a reminder ,.... since you hit the pool heavy with chlorine, be careful about the pH. When the FC is over 10 the pH will naturally read high as well until the pH drops back down. Just a thought. :) Have a great day.

Glad to hear it all worked out Bill. And say, as a reminder ,.... since you hit the pool heavy with chlorine, be careful about the pH. When the FC is over 10 the pH will naturally read high as well until the pH drops back down. Just a thought. :) Have a great day.

Hi Texas Splash.

I will now be really careful on chems, readings, and filters etc etc. Thanks. and you have a great day also.

Cheers.

Bill.

Hi All. Sorry to bother you all again. OK Readings. See Pic. Readings.jpg I know the CL is high as i shocked the pool on Wednesday evening. The Algae is now all gone. Now am i being to impatient here, as the pool is is a milky cloudy, can see the bottom at the deep end but just a bit cloudy. Do i need to adjust the Acid levels. to combat the high CL. Or do i just relax and let the chems do there job. Last night i hoovered to waste, And just back washed about 1 hour ago.
Pool_e1.jpg

Regards.

Bill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.