Emptying a Pool for Repair

ct17

Sep 2, 2015
Farmingdale, NY
I had an 18-foot round aboveground pool installed this year with steel walls and a 20 mil vinyl liner on a sand base. After the pool was filled we discovered a crater in the floor ~8 inches in diameter with a max depth of ~3 inches. My wife contacted the installer and they said that they would come out and fix it for free. They want us to drain the pool down to 4 inches of water depth before their visit and then refill the pool after they fix the floor. Is this a good idea? I have read on this site and others that emptying the pool is bad for vinyl liners. But age and ability are factors, so I am wondering if the fact that the liner is only a few months old and that the professionals will be starting the refilling process would reduce the risk of liner damage. Any input would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to TFP! Normally, we advise owners to leave about one foot of water in their AG pool when draining water for some repairs or most commonly a water exchange to lower their CYA level. But in your case, it sounds like you have no other option if you want the base repaired under the bottom. The good thing is that your installer has already agreed to re-do the work which is great! So anything that may happen along the way while fixing the liner would fall squarely on them anyways I would think. You should end-up with a like-new installation when they are done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.