Started up new pool today!

Aug 19, 2015
Florence, AZ
OK folks, The PB was over this morning to start up the pool for us. I was late getting home from work to meet him; he had already added 3 chlorine tabs in the floater and added stabalizer. I wanted to be home when he got here, bu that just didn't work out. I was concerned that he'd spike the cya level too high, low and behold he set it at 30, which I think is good, or at least I hope.

So anyway, I have the Tftestkit in hand and here are the reading from my numbers. I'm using 10% chlorine, not bleach.... chlorine was on sale.

PH 7.5
FC 2
CC .5
CH 400 ish
TA 60
CYA 30

Any help would be appreciated. I did run the numbers through pool calculator and came up with adding:
Chlorine: 1 cup 6 oz.
Baking soda: 6 lb 7 oz.

Congrats!

Your numbers look fine. Don't raise your TA yet, wait to see how your PH does. If PH stays stable then leave TA at 60. Do raise your FC per the, Chlorine CYA Chart

Any liquid chlorine is fine, bleach, chlorine, shock. It is all the same just different percentages.

30 CYA is a good start, but you might want to bump it to 50 if you are in full sun.

Keep an eye on your CSI in Poolmath and keep it between -0.5 and +0.5 during your start up. Also, make sure ph stays at 7.8 or lower.

Good info, thanks.

According to the cya chart my FC target is 4, I'll add in the correct amount of chlorine.

When will I know to up the TA?

I am in full sun, if I keep chlorine tabs (3) in the pool, which I have in now since PB put them in today, how long will it take to up the CYA with them alone? Or shall I just add stabalizer and ax the tablets?

Pool Math !!! At the top plug in your gallons, down at the bottom you will see an "Effects of adding chemicals" section. I think most pucks are 8oz trichlor, so plug in those numbers and it will give you some totals...

Edit...

As far as raising TA, listen to Dan.

your pH is going to be going up if you have new plaster, so don't raise your TA which will only make it go faster. only reason to raise TA is if you are having trouble with low pH. new plaster curing is going to make pH go up fast, especially the first few months. TA isn't anything that we need to set, rather its a tool to help regulate pH, but that isn't the case with a new pool. for now, leave it alone and don't worry about "target" values.

and I agree to get your CYA up to 50ppm. If you have tablets I would keep using those until you hit 50ppm, then switch to strictly bleach/chlroine

Pool Math !!! At the top plug in your gallons, down at the bottom you will see an "Effects of adding chemicals" section. I think most pucks are 8oz trichlor, so plug in those numbers and it will give you some totals...

Edit...

As far as raising TA, listen to Dan.

Wow, I just ran the numbers in pool math.... 1 chlorine tab will increase the FC by 5 and the CYA by 3! I have 8 tabs on hand so that will be perfect to get my CYA up to 50.

It's been a while since I've posted anything on the site, however I'm still lurking just about every other day! I'm so happy that I'm using this method; I still can't believe how easy it is to maintain my pool. I own a barber shop and the amount of pool owners I talk to that can't keep their pool clear is astonishing. I try to steer to the TFP way, but most just have a hard time understanding how easy it would be so they keep throwing cash to the pool stores and keep getting the same results. Anyway, our pool has been clear since day 1 and I'm happy to say that it's all because of this site!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.