I haven't taken them seriously enough - mosquitos

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
I was going to post this on my build thread, but due to the importance, I decided I should do a separate thread.

The guy who takes care of miscellaneous pool things for my PB has been out of pocket lately. He's been so great about taking care of my pool since it was filled July 24th. He and his 15 yo son were coming to the house about 1-2 times a week to check on things and do minor pool maintenance (although he soon found out I was already doing most of it by learning from TFP). I enjoy him and his son - they're fun to kid around with and give me lots of information.

A little over two weeks ago, he told me his son had just come down with the flu and couldn't come out to the house. His wife took the son to the doctor who immediately sent for an ambulance to take him to a nearby hospital. He didn't stay long before being transferred (I think the same day) to Texas Children's Hospital in the Medical Center downtown.

He was in a coma for several days, and the initial diagnosis was meningitis. But the doctors said some of the tests had to be sent off to California and would take two weeks to come back. Before his son came home a couple of days ago, the results came in - not good. He had a rare form of the West Nile virus or West Nile Meningoencephalitis. My pool guy was told that only 1% of those who get the West Nile virus get this, and it's the first documented case in Houston. So now they will be interviewed by the CDC.

My pool guy has been keeping his son busy this summer by having him go to all the different pools to supervise and take care of loose ends. They both talked about what a great summer it has been spending so much quality time together. I feel badly for both of them. The hospital has been trying to nail down where all the son has been to focus on those areas, but as his dad said, they've been everywhere - all over NW Harris County and Montgomery County. He said there's no way to tell where his son became infected.

My pool guy and his wife are taking turns staying with their son at home. It's a nerve-wracking time. Their son is still very weak and not always with it. Time will tell if there's been any permanent damage. The dad told me today that he can't wait for his son to be bugging the heck out of him again. They were so afraid of losing him.

Just last week, I was telling a friend how I don't use insect repellant because it all makes my skin feel like it's on fire and then gets numb. So I just haven't worried much about the pesky little biters. But now I think I will find out more about spraying around our yard. I'm not an alarmist, and I realize the risk is slight. But I don't want my 30 yo son to have to take care of me over something preventable.

So as the saying goes..... Be careful out there. I've made some really good friends on TFP (many who live in this area). I can't afford to lose friends, you know?!!

Thanks for reading and being a little more vigilant about those skeeters!

Suz.

Hi Suz,
thanks for this post. We all do spend LOTS of time outdoors in our little private oasis.
This is a good reminder, that we all need to be vigilant in mosquito control.

Whishing the boy all the best in his recovery and hes back to working around your oasis in no time.

Personally, I use Dr T's mosquito repellant granuals around my yard and am very happy with it for 2 years now. It rather inexpensive and is kid, environment and pet frinedly and all natural ingredients like garlic, linseed and other stuff that mosquitos don't like. Reapply every 4 to 6 weeks as needed. Just toss it out by hand.

There is another one that is all natural called "Mosquito Barrier". Comes as concentrate in a bottle and mix into a sprayer with water and spray with it. The pros use this stuff quite often.
Its harder for me to get (would have to order online plus shipping), but I have used this stuff too in the past and it works well, but its more of a task to mix it and spray all my trees and whole yard.

I have been using:
Amazon.com : Bifen XTS 25.1% Bifenthrin Oil Base Multi Use Pest Control Insecticide Concentrate 32 oz quart 753985 : Insect Repellents : Patio, Lawn Garden
It is made in Pasedena , Tx
Bifen XTS is an emulsifiable concentrate containing 25.1% bifenthrin. Synthetic pyrethrum. I dilute 10cc per gallon water and spray around yard and patio. No bugs ( roaches, mosquitos,spiders, nothing! ) and I repeat about every 3 weeks. For $30 it last me about 2 1/2 years ! I know this sounds like an add for them but I do not have anything to do with them. IT JUST WORKS! I was told it was the same type of product used in mosquito misting systems.

Hi Suz,
thanks for this post. We all do spend LOTS of time outdoors in our little private oasis.
This is a good reminder, that we all need to be vigilant in mosquito control.

Whishing the boy all the best in his recovery and hes back to working around your oasis in no time.

Personally, I use Dr T's mosquito repellant granuals around my yard and am very happy with it for 2 years now. It rather inexpensive and is kid, environment and pet frinedly and all natural ingredients like garlic, linseed and other stuff that mosquitos don't like. Reapply every 4 to 6 weeks as needed. Just toss it out by hand.

There is another one that is all natural called "Mosquito Barrier". Comes as concentrate in a bottle and mix into a sprayer with water and spray with it. The pros use this stuff quite often.
Its harder for me to get (would have to order online plus shipping), but I have used this stuff too in the past and it works well, but its more of a task to mix it and spray all my trees and whole yard.

Thank you so for your reply - very much appreciated...

And your suggestions for repellant are great! I'm going to try Dr T's first. I'm not great about mixing outdoor spray herbicides, etc - I always put those things off and then it never gets done. Basic laziness, I guess.

Others on here might find those repellants helpful, too!

Take care,
Suz.

I have been using:
Amazon.com : Bifen XTS 25.1% Bifenthrin Oil Base Multi Use Pest Control Insecticide Concentrate 32 oz quart 753985 : Insect Repellents : Patio, Lawn Garden
Bifen XTS is an emulsifiable concentrate containing 25.1% bifenthrin. Synthetic pyrethrum. I dilute 10cc per gallon water and spray around yard and patio. No bugs ( roaches, mosquitos,spiders, nothing! ) and I repeat about every 3 weeks. For $30 it last me about 2 1/2 years ! I know this sounds like an add for them but I do not have anything to do with them. IT JUST WORKS! I was told it was the same type of product used in mosquito misting systems.

Thanks for this, too! And it's 'Home Grown'! I'll have to check to see if it's pet friendly.

But what a bonus to get rid of the roaches, too! I'm lucky in that our littlest indoor kitty is our big roach hunter. So I don't have much of a problem inside. Apparently, we only have enough for his nocturnal safari each night. I rarely see any myself, but many mornings, we see roach body parts strewn around the kitchen floor. But every time I go into the garage, those awful things are everywhere -day and night. At least they don't fly here in Houston. When I went to school in Austin, the ones at my grandmother's house where I lived flew. Always freaked me out when I came in late from a date. Never did get used to those flying roaches.

Now I'm going to have nice dreams..... Waughhhhhhhh!
Suz.

Hi Suz. Excellent thread, and a very important reminder to us all that when you get bit by a mosquito it may actually be leaving behind A lot more than just a mosquito bite.

If you are unable to use the regular bug sprays because they burn you there are several homemade recipes for mosquito repellents available online.

The best thing I've found is Avon Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil. Having personally used it, I can tell you it did work very well for me during hunting, and camping trips, etc. to repel mosquitos. I have 2 bottles of it in my bathroom cabinet right now for that specific purpose.

I can't even go outside in the late afternoons without putting Skin So Soft on because the mosquitos tear me up, causing severe itching, and leaving huge, quarter size, raised whelp like knots everywhere that isn't covered by clothing. This happens within a matter of just a few minutes. (I am highly allergic to their bite, and something in my body chemistry causes them to zone in on me for some reason. Others will say, "Oh they're not biting me at all, and I'll be completely covered up in bites, so I don't know what it is, but they like me A Lot, LOL. Unfortunately my daughter is the same way too.) If, however, I put Skin So Soft on before going out I have no problem with mosquitos biting me whatsoever.

Here is actually a link disputing that fact that Skin So Soft works: http://consumerist.com/2015/05/14/fans-of-avons-skin-so-soft-as-a-bug-repellent-are-wrong/ but I personally am one who will gladly dispute that dispute lol. Not only does it repel mosquitoes, it also doesn't leave you smelling like big spray.

But since Avon did Not market there product for that purpose, yet so many people found it beneficial for that purpose, they have actually brought out a line of Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard with SPF. It does Not contain Deet, which I suspect is the cause of your burning when wearing bugs repellents.

Here is an Amazon Link that has all the different kinds, sizes, etc. if you are interested in trying it. (The 2nd one on the list without the bug guard is the one I actually use).
http://www.amazon.com/s/ie=UTF8&key...qmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8u3zbel8im_b

I hope this helps. I'm really sorry that your pool guy's son has been so ill. I will keep them in my prayers. Have a wonderful night. :)

Ive read about this stuff but dont know anyone who ever used it. Glad to see you post about it. It will put in my mosquito list, maybe give it a try.

I have been using:

There is actually an active thread about mosquitos going on right now and I posted to it. Im sure some of those folks will jump in on this one too.

here is the tread if you want to check it out.
What do you do to fight MOSQUITOS?

Thank you so for your reply - very much appreciated...

And your suggestions for repellant are great! I'm going to try Dr T's first. I'm not great about mixing outdoor spray herbicides, etc - I always put those things off and then it never gets done. Basic laziness, I guess.

Others on here might find those repellants helpful, too!

Take care,
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crackerjack, thank you so much for your post - how kind! That's awful what you and your daughter go through from the mosquitos. My son gets the big whelps and knots (first time he had one at 2, we thought he had fallen and bumped his head), but they don't seem to bother him. Still his pediatrician always said we should be watchful just in case something in his system changed the reaction to worse.

I guess because the spray bothered me more than the bites, I just thought I could put it out of my mind. And it seems I usually don't get bitten. You must be so very sweet - that's why they love you! But it's so true that they gravitate to some people and not to others.

You know, I had totally forgotten about Skin-so-Soft. I haven't heard about it in years, so thank you for the reminder! I guess you just spread it on like a lotion? Or do you bathe/shower in it and the residual is enough to repel the mosquitos? I much prefer 'home remedy' type things or the less chemicals, the better. You're probably right about deet being my problem. But it did worry me when my skin would go numb after burning - and it took a while to go away even after washing.

Thanks to all of you, I have a lot to order tonight!!!!

And I will pass on the well wishes and prayers to my pool guy and his son. They are the kind of folks who sincerely appreciate those things!

Suz.

I guess if the chickens ate a lot of this stuff, it might give them a gizzard ache, but dont think it would be harmful. But maybe they wont like the taste. Anyways, here is a all natural repellent that I use that works pretty well.
DR T's mosquito repellent.
and here is the MSDS on it.
http://www.nixalite.com/msds/mosquitognatmsds.pdf

Anything that can be used that is safe for chickens? My chickens roam the yard, so many chemicals would be harmful.

Sorry when I clicked on the Amazon link the one I was now the 9th one down on the list. LOL I'm not sure why it changed places when I copied the exact link I was looking at, unless more ads went up or something? Anyway here is a link of the one I personally use. http://www.amazon.com/Skin-So-Soft-...160758&sr=8-9&keywords=bug+guard+skin+so+soft

Got it! Thanks for the update. That's how things work for me - just when I think I've got something covered, the internet Gremlins come along and mess up my entire mission! Lol!!

I recommend spraying yourself and around your seat with gold Listerine. I read about it online and didn't believe it could possibly work, but it was so cheap I decided it was worth a try. I bought a large spray bottle in the cleaning section and just poured the whole bottle in full strength. You smell minty for a few minutes but surprising it works really well. I watched a mosquito land on me one night, take a couple steps and fly off on his own. I was too shocked to even react. We are in Texas too and I swear those suckers come flying in already poised to bite.

Oh my. Praying for that kid. I'm tearing up at him wanting his son to bug him again. Feeling bad about being snippy with my boys while trying to get them ready for bed

Hope he gets better soon and makes a full recovery.

You're so sweet. I know how you feel. I used to get snippy more than I want to remember (can't imagine you being snippy, but then again, you ARE allowed as a human and as a mom). But I know exactly how this dad feels. Several times, I almost lost my son 8-10 years ago. I was so grateful for everyday we had that nothing mattered anymore. I noticed yesterday for the first time I felt impatient with him. I kept it in (I think), but it only took one second to remind myself of that rough period, and thankfully all the impatience evaporated. Then I talked to my pool guy today which just reinforced what I remembered yesterday. Be grateful for the good and the bad.

We've shared enough and talked enough that I know you have an amazing heart and are an terrific mom. Remember that always. And again, we are human and imperfect. But things like this help us get back on track, right?! They do for me.

Hugs,
Suz.

I recommend spraying yourself and around your seat with gold Listerine. I read about it online and didn't believe it could possibly work, but it was so cheap I decided it was worth a try. I bought a large spray bottle in the cleaning section and just poured the whole bottle in full strength. You smell minty for a few minutes but surprising it works really well. I watched a mosquito land on me one night, take a couple steps and fly off on his own. I was too shocked to even react. We are in Texas too and I swear those suckers come flying in already poised to bite.

Ok, I'm rolling on the floor laughing with tears rolling down my face!!!! Note to self: Don't read this site when I'm so tired - my brain doesn't process correctly what I read!!!

When I read your first sentence, my eyes skipped over the word 'around' before the words 'your seat'...... I thought, oh this is fun, it's going to be a joke!!! But I kept reading, and your post sounded very grounded. Really, spray my seat????? Well, ok.... I'll try anything once, I guess. And a minty 'seat' might not be bad. (to be clear, my mom used to call our bottoms, our seats; now you see why I'm still laughing?)

Back to sanity - this sounds like a very good idea, now that I've gotten my misunderstanding all cleared up! I'd rather smell minty than have my skin burn and go numb from toxic repellants! No telling what that does to my neurological wiring (maybe I'm too late, maybe my mom used the toxic stuff on me as a child).

Doesn't Listerine have a good amount of alcohol in it? Maybe the mosquitos get drunk on the fumes from the Listerine and that's why they fly off!!!

I hope you know I'm not laughing at your suggestion at all. I think it's a very good one. I'm laughing at myself and what was going on in my head for far too long while I was reading your post.

Thanks for the good tip and the fun you had no idea you were providing me!!!
Suz.

And you're right about those nasty pests - they're like drones with intelligence and weaponry!

Hi Suz,

You're welcome. Thank you for the sweet words. I personally just rub down any exposed areas in it just like I would lotion, but remember the next time you shower that baby oil will rinse off, and may make the shower super slick.

That's horrible on the numbness. Yeah, repellant shouldn't make your skin go numb. If it did you were having some kind of unusual reaction to it for sure. LOL perhaps the repellants you tried didn't even stop them from biting you, it just numbed your body to the point that you couldn't feel them bite you when they did.

I do wear a lot of lotion because my skin stays so dry from all the oral medicine that I take, and from the narcotics in my pain pump, so the scent of the lotion may be what lures them in? Or it could be the lotion makes my skin super soft, therefore, they don't have to work as hard to bite me, and they know it? lol.

If your son got his first one at 2, odds are he was possibly wearing baby lotion at that time too? I really do think scented lotions, hair products, scented bath soaps, perfumes, cologne, deodorant, etc. definitely tend to attract them even more.

Hopefully you will find something that you can use that doesn't cause you to be numb because I know that's no fun at all. Have a nice night.

Suz, thanks for the sharing the story, the tears and laughter! I sure hope your pool guy's son continues with his recovery. I am looking forward to trying some of the ideas mentioned by others in the thread. I have a long list of what doesn't work for repelling mosquitoes!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.