Dropping CYA by Overflowing?

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to drop my CYA. I am trying to overflow the bad water by adding fresh water and letting it overflow? Is this a very good idea though. :)

Although i am seeing results but just taking too long. So much wastage of water is something i do not like. My starting was 100, after a about 10 hours of overflowing it has dropped to 70. I want to get it down to around 30/35.

The prob with this way is that inevitably, some of the fresh water will go out with the bad. It will work as you are noticing, but it isnt the most efficient way to do it.

Is there some reason why you cant to a partial drain and then refill?

I'll give you my opinion .... :).... if you're at 70 now, just eave tt there. It's blazin' hot here in TX. Protect your FC. My CYA is at 60-70, and I know others who are as well. As long as you keep your FC at the target and never let it drop below the 5-6 mark, you should be okay. It will probably deteriorate a bit on its over the winter as well.

If you're really firm on lowering, then yes, doing it the way you've been is a bit slower and less predictable, but it's better than nothing.

What i did was let the fresh water in from the bottom of the pool. That being cold water should be at the bottom. Although this being a pool not an ocean, i agree that fresh water should leak out. About dumping the water out, i am just being lazy i guess and managing a house single handed is just becoming overwhelming! :(

Thought i would try it, if it did not work, i would go for dumping the water out.

I know its hot here, the thing is when it was about 100, it was eating 13-14 liters of bleach in about 7-8 days.

On a different note, how many liters of bleach do you normally need in a month?

Yeah, in comparison, my pool is at just under 18K, and I use about 4 - 4.5 ppm depending upon my current CYA. Depending upon the intensity of the sun, I'll use 3/4 - 1 gallon which is why I've been increasing my CYA to 60 and slight even higher than that after completing an OCLT to ensure there was no bad stuff in my water eating the FC. :) It's a balancing act.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, every time I see your avatar it reminds me of the movie Eurotrip. :)

Mine? :D
Well its the only sports team i really care about!! :)

Does dirt/debris eat chlorine up? Like added about 3.8 gallons of bleach around 08/22, to make FC of 12 from the CYA chart. I checked on Sunday and its was 4. That's about 8 days. Now it probably has gone to 0 FC with all the fresh water being added. I will test the water today and see where the CYA is at and add fresh bleach again.

If i take the whole of August gone through about 11 gallons.

31 days divided by 11 gallons is about 2.8 gallons per day. That would seem excessive. Dirt and debris certainly can increase FC consumption. Try to stay in a good routine. You definitely don't want it dropping below your FC target, not to mention zero, or you'll leave yourself open for algae in this blistering heat.

Best thing to do is record your FC loss each day, or even do an overnight test. When performing the OLCT, remember that it must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting (bedtime) FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.

That will help to confirm if you have an active algae issue going on right now.

Not exactly. :) You add chlorine and test tonight before bed (example FC of 28). Then in the morning, before the sun hits the pool, test FC right away. Hopefully you won't lose anymore than 1ppm of FC. If you did, then you probably have something in the water eating your chlorine and need to do a SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1 gallon of 8.25% bleach in 25,000 gallons only raises the FC by 3.5 ppm which is why one would expect to add a gallon at least every 2 days (that would be 1.7 ppm FC per day). 12.5% chlorinating liquid (if available) would be less volume and weight because it is more concentrated -- it would be about 30% less.

Hellstorm, is it too late to modify my math from post #8? Obviously my calculator malfunctioned, or my two opposing thumbs got in the way. :). As noted, I calculated backwards, so 11 gal divided by 31 days is more like .35 gal per day. That's pretty darn good actually I would say. I also go through about 1/2 gal or so per day. If you can monitor and keep FC loss between 2-4 ppm per day, you are doing well.

Mine? :D
Well its the only sports team i really care about!! :)

Does dirt/debris eat chlorine up? Like added about 3.8 gallons of bleach around 08/22, to make FC of 12 from the CYA chart. I checked on Sunday and its was 4. That's about 8 days. Now it probably has gone to 0 FC with all the fresh water being added. I will test the water today and see where the CYA is at and add fresh bleach again.

If i take the whole of August gone through about 11 gallons.
But the football they are using is the wrong shape.....

But, I digress - back to your pool.

You should be testing and adding chlorine (bleach) every day, not taking the FC up high and letting it go back down. The stabilizer/CYA is protecting the chlorine, but only to a point. Any chlorine above that protected level is eaten quicker by the UV of the sun. You will use the least amount of chlorine by keeping an even level in your pool. Never go below the minimum for the amount of CYA in the pool, but don't take it up too high either.

With a couple of weeks of daily testing under your belt you may find you know how much chlorine to add each day and just do it automatically, testing every second or third day.

Only two things cause the chlorine level to drop, UV rays and organics in the water. Organics include leaves, bugs, bodily secretions - basically anything that was or is living.

At least the ball touches the feet!! :)

The was or is living thing is the problem. My house is beside a park and lots of trees surround it. Its full of dead leaves, flowers at the moment. I used to vacuum manually, but given up on it, to much work. Right now planning to get the Dolphin DX5+S, looked decent from the specs, after that i guess i should be pretty alright!

At least the ball touches the feet!! :)

The was or is living thing is the problem. My house is beside a park and lots of trees surround it. Its full of dead leaves, flowers at the moment. I used to vacuum manually, but given up on it, to much work. Right now planning to get the Dolphin DX5+S, looked decent from the specs, after that i guess i should be pretty alright!
Pools are work, no doubt about it...

Leaving leaves, flowers and stuff like that turns the pool into a large tea cup. Tannins and other things steep out of them into the water just like the tea bag. Best to get them out rather then let them steep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.