Power for EasyTouch with Intermatic Timer

Oct 2, 2014
San Marcos, Ca
I want to put in an EasyTouch system to replace a SolarTouch. Right now I have power going into an Intermatic timer. The manual says the EasyTouch requires 3 wires. Can I use the EasyTouch and wire it from the Intermatic timer which only has 2 wires? I don't use the timer now, it's just always on.

I have a VS pump and IC40 SWG with load center. Solar heating. No booster pump or spa.

Or can I take the timer out and bypass it completely?

The Easytouch can run off of 115 volts or 220 volts depending on how you wire the internal transformers. It should completely replace your current timer. I assume you have 220 volts going to your pad because of your Intelliflo pump. I suggest that you run that line directly to the Easytouch and then use the Easytouch as the sub-panel for everything else.

Let me know if you need any additional details.

Jim R.

Ok, I'll take the timer out and run conduit to the EasyTouch. There are 2 110v wires going into the timer. The wonderful Pentair manual doesn't explain very well where those two wires will connect.

The heater and pump will then be wired directly to the breaker, the wires currently coming into the timer box, right? And I won't need the power box for the SWG anymore?

I'm using a current sensing relay to cut power to the SWG when the pump isn't running. The EasyTouch doesn't cut the power, is this ok?

Ryano,

Well, it looks like I have stepped in it and now I can't get it off my shoe.. :p No offence, but if you are unsure where the two power leads go inside the Easytouch, it might make sense for you to find a friend with an electrical background, or hire an electrician. That said..

The two 110 volt wires would connect to the L1 and L2 terminals at the bottom of the Easytouch circuit breaker panel. You should also have copper or green ground wire. If it is an old pool that may be all you have. If it is newer pool you should have the two 110 volt lines, a neutral line, generally white, and a copper or green ground wire.

Whether you can do away with your existing IC40 power supply depends on which Easytouch you buy. Some come with the power supply built into the Easytouch, some do not.

To ensure that the IC40 cannot run unless the pump is on, you wire power for the IC40's power supply through the Filter/Pump relay. Anytime the pump is scheduled to be on, the relay will be energized, supplying power to the IC40. This relay does NOT have anything to do with the 220 volts going to the pump motor.

Just to be clear.. the power coming into the Easytouch will go through a 220 volt GFI breaker and directly to the pump. The pump will have power at all times. A serial cable attached to the pump at one end and the Easytouch at the other end tells the pump when to run, and at what speed, based upon what you program it to do.

If this makes some sense, great. If not, you might want to call a friend ;)

Jim R.

I am capable of doing this, I just couldn't decipher the Pentair manual. In my search for an answer before I posted here I found a lot of people with the same problem ☺

L1 and L2 was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Everything makes sense now. I appreciate your help!

I bought the SolarTouch because I wanted to save some money. Bad decision. It has given me nothing but problems. Pentair came out 3 times to fix it and now I'm out of warranty and it isn't working again. That's why I'm upgrading to the EasyTouch. I'll be installing it today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.