Questions about Intex SWG

I am considering buying the Intex SWG for this year. I looked at the Intex SWG post but was just wondering how would you close the pool when using one? I read that you don't have to add chemicals through out the season. Also I want to get the SWG before opening the pool so do I just add the salt and start the filter and pump? How would you check if the water is balanced? I know you can use the test strips but everyone on this forum is against test strips. Last summer I went to Leslies and they always checked the water for me. Is Leslie's Pool about to check the water with a SWG? Any information would be great.

You need a good test kit, so you can stop going to Leslies. :mrgreen: Seriously, it's the best way to take control of your pool and keep track of your water balance. IF you are going to go the SWG it's essential.

The salt test strips are okay and actually preferred. Regular test strips for other chems are not. Get yourself a TF-100, you won't be disappointed.

You can add the salt and start your filter, I think I read you need to wait a bit and make sure the water is balanced properly before you turn on the SWG unit though.

About closing and winterizing an SWG - I don't know. :oops:

What I do know is the last 2 closings I have added nothing to my pool except bleach, no "winterization chems" that Leslie's and the like sell to unknowning buyers.... and I've opened to crystal clear water twice and I looked under my winter cover now and it's crystal under there. If you read the ingredients label on the "winter kits" you'll see they are likely unnecessary for a properly balanced pool. I think the store by me sells them for $40 to $50 depending on the size of your pool, and they really are just a waste of money. Granular chlorine, algaecide and alk increaser. Other than the chlorine, I don't need to add them, especially not $50 worth.

Someone will chime in about the winterization process for an SWG I'm sure. In the meantime, read all you can about adding salt, make sure you get the right kind, and go for it. :goodjob:

An Intex SWG is normally disconnected, drained, and stored inside. Draining is critical, it doesn't have to be disconnected or stored inside, though both are a good idea.

mastiffs08 said:
I read that you don't have to add chemicals through out the season.
Statements like that can be misleading. When a SWG is working correctly, you won't need to add chlorine through out the season. But you will still need to keep all of your other numbers (PH, TA, CH, & CYA) in balance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.