Interviewing Builders in Cypress, Texas

Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
So I've met with 5 builders now? Anyhow, most are recommending Hayward, have been fine with and encourage my thoughts of an SWG, and mostly said all the same things. Then today, I met with another PB that had all different recommendations. He was a sales guy through and through but I wanted to at least research everything he told me. He's been doing this for 30 years in Texas, uses UV/Ozone (Ultra UV) with Chlorine pellets. He said SWG is going away due to issues with corrosion and they haven't used it for 3 years now. He said he was happy to provide me with the list of references on pools they've built. The others also recommended a vacuum where he recommended the in-ground PCC 2000 cleaner system. They are a big pool company that does a lot of warranty and remodels as well as builds in the area. He seemed really surprised that he was the first to tell me not to get an SWG. Thoughts?

We got our first design drawing from a builder today. SO exciting to see it pictured in our own yard!

Hate to be Mr Negative BUT, If you have not already done so search ozone systems and in ground cleaning systems on this site. Most do not like either system. Maybe that is why he does alot of warranty work! Oh and "pucks" "pellets" are not liked so much either.

We talked to 5 builders including the one you mentioned. Two of them refused to do a SWCG and the other 3 highly recommended against it.

All of them wanted to add some combination of Ozone, UV and Nature2.

In the end we were given the ClearO3 and Nature2 but I will deactivate after it's turned over to us. Unless I can stop them at install time.

Good luck! Very exciting!

- - - Updated - - -

Hate to be Mr Negative BUT, If you have not already done so search ozone systems and in ground cleaning systems on this site. Most do not like either system.

That's a bit of a stretch for the In Floor cleaning system. The people that have problems do seek help. But the reviews for the Paramount systems are mostly positive.

We are getting the PV3 and I decided that on the positive reviews.

Can you tell me which builders you talked to? I've spoken with 5 other builders so far and he was the first to tell me that or recommend against the SWG. Are you in Cypress too?

We talked to 5 builders including the one you mentioned. Two of them refused to do a SWCG and the other 3 highly recommended against it.

All of them wanted to add some combination of Ozone, UV and Nature2.

In the end we were given the ClearO3 and Nature2 but I will deactivate after it's turned over to us. Unless I can stop them at install time.

Good luck! Very exciting!

- - - Updated - - -

That's a bit of a stretch for the In Floor cleaning system. The people that have problems do seek help. But the reviews for the Paramount systems are mostly positive.

We are getting the PV3 and I decided that on the positive reviews.

You said it yourself he is a salesman, as to the other issues almost all pool builders will try to upsell the expensive, but often very low labor to install items like mineral systems, UV or Ozonator systems as it is easy profit for them. UV and Ozone systems do about as much to help a well balanced pool as pinstriping does to make a car go faster, while mineral systems add metals to the water (copper or silver usually) which make blond hair turn green and in high enough levels over time does the same thing to your pool finish. As to in floor cleaning, reviews are mixed around here, it is a major expense compared to other cleaning systems, seems to either work great or be constant headaches, depending on who you ask. Personally I know I would never buy one, instead I would stick with robot cleaners when they die replacement takes 5 minutes and there is no jack hammering concrete involved.

Ike

p.s. the only real issue with SWG's is they can corrode soft natural stones which are somewhat popular in Texas

As to in floor cleaning, reviews are mixed around here, it is a major expense compared to other cleaning systems, seems to either work great or be constant headaches, depending on who you ask. Personally I know I would never buy one, instead I would stick with robot cleaners when they die replacement takes 5 minutes and there is no jack hammering concrete involved.

Maybe I haven't read everything you read, but most problems seem to be with the Caretaker system. I've seen very few problems with the Paramount systems. And I haven't read a single post regarding Paramount that indicated jack hammering concrete was needed.

My thought was this was a choice you only get one chance at making and I didn't want to have to constantly "manage" a robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It makes me laugh -- albeit nervously! -- to read this thread. Its so darned difficult to know whats what when you are a pool newbie and the PBs are all saying different things!!!! The 5 Maryland builders I met with have all been positive about SWCGs. I wonder if there is a climate factor driving regional recommendations?

I have not seen any issues to speak of on the Paramount system, but that does not mean that someone will not draw the short straw, I have also been around long enough to know that the companies that make the best products don't always survive and can leave you with an orphaned product. So I therefore tend to opt towards things than can be easily or at least practically replaced when possible. I also don't like the idea of that maze of connected plumbing under the pool in the event of an underground plumbing leak, I much prefer the idea of running as much plumbing as possible next to the pool instead of under it. I have dealt with underground plumbing problems under concrete three times with my pool (it was built in 1979, breaks were all in the last 12 years) and it is not fun, I am sure under pool is MUCH worse.

It makes me laugh -- albeit nervously! -- to read this thread. Its so darned difficult to know whats what when you are a pool newbie and the PBs are all saying different things!!!! The 5 Maryland builders I met with have all been positive about SWCGs. I wonder if there is a climate factor driving regional recommendations?

I think it is related to the typical pool decking and coping choices in each region. Flagstone and travertine are very common for builds in Texas. They also are the most susceptible to issues with exposure to salt water and corrosion. If cared for properly, there should be minimal issues with those as well, but many people do not do so and the builders would rather just avoid the possibility of another liability in their builds. I'm not sure what decking and coping material your build is consisting of but there tend to be more granite, brick, concrete, bluestone and possibly dense sandstone (non-flagstone or limestone materials) in northern climate builds.

I have not seen any issues to speak of on the Paramount system, but that does not mean that someone will not draw the short straw, I have also been around long enough to know that the companies that make the best products don't always survive and can leave you with an orphaned product.

Indeed. We can't predict the future. Can just make decisions based on what we think is the most likely scenario.

So I therefore tend to opt towards things than can be easily or at least practically replaced when possible.
Very prudent. I'm willing to take a little more risk so that I don't have to handle a robot multiple times per week. Risk/reward. I guess my tolerance is a little higher.

I also don't like the idea of that maze of connected plumbing under the pool in the event of an underground plumbing leak, I much prefer the idea of running as much plumbing as possible next to the pool instead of under it. I have dealt with underground plumbing problems under concrete three times with my pool (it was built in 1979, breaks were all in the last 12 years) and it is not fun, I am sure under pool is MUCH worse.

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I've got plumbing running under (through?) the foundation of my house. I don't give it a second thought. Hope I don't have to. That's also why I didn't go with the cheapest builder.

I don't know if I'll have problems or not. But from what I could tell, if history is any indication, I'm likely to have many years of reliability. So I'm betting that way.

Our pool was built by the PB you talked to today. We skipped the UV/Ozone but kept the PCC2000. According to Paramount, the PB is one of Paramount's most experienced and successful installers of the PCC2000 system nationally. The system works as designed and it's awesome. No robots in the pool and it's nice to mix up the pool water quickly after adding chemicals. Also, be sure to ask for a breakout of the cost of the PCC2000 system. Our pool isn't that large, and for us the cost wasn't that much more than the cost of a fancy robot.

We did install the chlorinator, but it's currently not being used. It's nice to have the option to use Trichlor pucks when you go on vacation. We never wanted a SWG, so I can't comment on that.

Choosing a pool builder isn't easy. For us, it came down to knowing our PB would build us a quality pool in timely manner. We have not been disappointed. We love our pool, and the whole construction process was refreshing. All the subs did high quality work and the PB only uses Modern Method Gunite for shell and interior. The construction supervisor was on site daily, and any issues or questions we had were dealt with promptly. They have scheduling their subs down to an art and we were always kept informed of who would be at our home and when. I have no other connections to our PB..we're just a happy customer and I believe that someone that does excellent work deserves a recommendation. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions. Good luck making your choice!

The same PB you are talking about is in the process of building our pool. The decking starts tomorrow!! Although we are still in the build stages I have been extremely Happy. Every crew has done quality work and we have not had a single surprise or negative issue (with the exception of a little rain.)
The PB also built a pool for a friend of ours about 5 years ago. They had great things to say about the PB and the pool (including the in floor cleaning system.)

We originally wanted an SWG system, but decided against it. One main reason was from recommendation from a family friend of ours. They lived in Cypress and converted their pool from an SWG system to a standard chlorine system. They were having repeating issues witht heir patio furniture corroding due to the water. They said after going to a chlorine system the problem was solved.

I will be happy to tell you more about our experience should you want more info. Feel free to PM me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.