Winter water balance questions

Jul 7, 2014
kamloops bc
It is getting close to closing time, so after a couple of very sunny month's I have been testing and trying to keep water balanced with pretty good success. However I have been wondering about Alkalinity? It has been between 150-170 all month, when I read about ALK in Poolschool it says not to lower just to reach a target. Non of the symptoms for lowering are apparent in my water. I will post my last test results and maybe someone can advise if I should deal with anything in particular before closing?

FC--6.5
CC->.5
Alk-170
Ha- 150
Ph--7.4
CYA-60-70 (we know the grey in that test :>))
I have been adding Ph up through the summer, seems like it falls to 7.2 every couple of days and I raise it to 7.4, not sure if this is okay or if I should try to get it higher? Have been vacuuming on drain in an effort to bring down Alk and CYA but not happening, tap water here very low Alk.
Have used pucks for about 10-14 days over the summer when away.

Your test readings are not all that bad, although based on a CYA of 70 (to be safe), your FC target should be 8, and never go below 5. Your TA is slightly elevated, but not extremely high. If your pH has been dropping, it may be due to the pucks you've been using. Some will tend to drive-down pH. You can use a combination of aeration to help keep the pH up as well versus chemicals. As for closing, simply follow the instructions here at Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool and you should be just fine. If you still have questions, please let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.