Need new antenna for Jandy PDA, or should I just go Autelis?

Matrioux

Platinum Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Charlotte, NC.
Hey all,

The antenna on my Jandy Aqualink RS PDA receiver (JBOX) is split and the internal wire is broken. I would like to just replace the antenna, but can't source it. I could replace the whole PDA JBOX, but the best price I have seen for it is from just under $200 to over $400, that seems excessive for replacing a $20 antenna. Anybody know of a source for a replacement antenna?

If I end up having to replace the whole JBOX, it would make more sense to me to go with the Autelis PDA unit and gain phone/web connectivity. Anyone have experience with it?

Picture of intact unit so that you know what I'm talking about, again I just want to replace the antenna part, not the whole box:

31qmmbh6tfL.jpg

That doesn't look much different from a WiFi antenna. If you Google "replacement wifi router antenna" and look at the images tab, you'll see lots of pictures of very similar antenna.

Bet you could stop by your local Goodwill second hand store and pick up a used, previous generation router for $5-$10, then unscrew the antenna and use it as you're replacement. You could even bring your old antenna to the store and fit check it first. Otherwise just shop around for replacement router antennas online. I think they're fairly standardized.

I actually have a few old routers, but am unsure of the PDA frequency and which antenna's are tuned to what frequencies. I know the Jandy antenna has a lead coming from it that is hard soldered to the board. I can certainly replicate using a router antenna, a RP-SMA fitting and some wire, but would prefer a direct replacement if I can find one.

Same here. I took the cover off and saw that the antenna is not designed to be replaced as it is hard-wired into the RF daughtercard in the j-box and to the antenna itself. I cut the wire at the threaded bulkhead connector am going to get my soldering iron out and connect the lead to a mini RF BNC or threaded connector. Then any 900Mhz whip antenna can be screwed on in the future. That antenna lead is tiny so it's going to test my soldering skills.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.