New Guy Needs help with leaking swimming pool pump housing

Aug 31, 2015
Sumter, SC
Hello! First-time poster here.

I'm not a pool expert nor a pump expert so I'll be brief.

This is a rectangular in-ground pool 10 yards long. My parents had it installed in 1993 and I believe that all the pumping stuff (filter tank, pump, housing, etc.) are original. They live in the South so the pump station gets lots of direct sunlight and as it's next to a South-facing brick exterior...lots of heat in the summertime.

THE PROBLEM: the housing next to the pump has sprung a leak actually not it's two or three small leaks in the same area. I'm told that the pump is a Hayward Super-Pump.

I'm going to attempt to insert a photo or at least a Dropbox link to a photo I took of the problem. Obviously the solution is to replace the pump motor and housing. I'm DIY-challenged. :cry:

The pump obviously needs replacement (and doesn't like water sprayed on it). I'm getting the idea that perhaps some sort of cover is in order to keep the rain off it as well (but not so close as to retain heat).

I'd appreciate some input from the hive as to a short-term solution (since pool season here will likely end in 4-6 weeks and what some real fixes will be and if this should be taken on by someone as DIY challenged as myself.

Thanks! :D

P1000628.jpg

With 4 to 6 weeks left I'd say it's worth replacing it this year. If you're DIY challenged, maybe you have a friend that isn't and who would be willing to help you change it out.

That looks like a Hayward Super Pump. Probably a 1 or 1½ hp. If you don't want to have to change the plumbing you can look for one of those and it's a direct replacement. All you'll need to do is cut the suction and discharge pipes and it would be easy to install unions where you make the cuts, and rewire the electrical from the old pump to the new one. You'll have to make sure the voltage is correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.