Hello from Spokane Valley WA

I have recently purchased a new home with a late 70’s 20,000 gallon swimming pool (rectangle with 3' shallows on both ends sloping to a 5.5' deeper section in the middle. It came with a Sta Rite HRP-30 sand filter, Master Pools Five Port Turbo-Clean, and a smaller jetted pool/ hot tub on the same filter and pump with 3 way valves to switch between the two. The pump looks new, and the furnace works well, but everything else looks old.

The previous owner stated that the hot pool hasn’t been run in over 10 years. I think that's because the skimmer return on the hot pool seems to have a leak somewhere, but I’m replacing the Jandy never lube valve bodies (lifetime warranty, no questions asked over the phone replacement, quite impressive...) this weekend in the hope that the problem is there.

The previous owner used copper sulfate root killer, 3” Chlor tabs, HTH level 3 shock in 1# bags, Muriatic acid, and lye to maintain the pool. He left me with a copper test kit and a Taylor K-1000 with HTH chems.

I have been lurking on your site for a few weeks, and have decided that you know far more than my LPS. I have ordered the TF-100 Test Kit with the magnetic stirrer and will amend my signature once it arrives. Any assistance/ recommendations you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! Outstanding on the TF-100. You will be glad you did. Yes, we hear many times that previous owners dumped all kinds of stuff in the water. Well, once you get your TF-100, post a full set of readings for us and we'll gladly assist. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks for the welcome!

I have to say that the customer service from the test kit site is awesome! Thank you Rebecca!

Last night I added 2 gallons (20,000 gallon pool) of 6% bleach (.197/ fl oz. Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator
super helpful link from TFP) from Cash and Carry. Woke up this morning with no yellow at all on my OTO test. Added another gallon this morning, hopefully this will help. I'm finally starting to see the pool bottom now, but it's still cloudy.

I'm guessing that my CYA is way too high, but I'll soon find out, since my TF-100 just shipped yesterday.

Edit: I forgot to add that the fires here locally have put a large amount of very fine ash and dust into the air, and therefore my pool. I went to the LPS to get some DE for my sand filter and got sold some BioGuard EcoKlean as a "DE alternative that works better", and the smallest DE bag the had was 50#. It seems to have been effective in reducing the fine particles. Anyone have any experience with this product, or did I get hosed?