Helen203

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Annapolis, MD
STATUS UPDATE

8/29/15 Contract Signed
9/4 Permit Issued
Beginning Monday, 9/14/15
Day 1 Dig (limited access = bobcat), pool equipment delivered, including 2nd light ~ thanks to TFP!
Day 2 Dig
Day 3 Steel
Day 4 Plumbing
Day 5 Inspection, Gunite
Day 10 Electrician installed second panel in house
Day 10 Tile selected, ordered
Week 2-6 Electrician issues, work completed
Week 6 Tile and coping
Week 7 Decking scheduled

April 1, 2016 Plaster scheduled

Pool dimensions: ~17K gallons, 16'x34' free form, 4'-5'6"-4' sport, 496 sf, 98' perimeter, two 6' seats with added step out, sun shelf, 2-3' sheer descent waterfalls, DiamondBrite plaster, no spa
Pump: Jandy 1.5HP Stealth, two speed, energy efficient
Filter: Jandy Cartridge filter, 460 sf
Heater: Jandy 400,000 BTU JXi Gas
Lighting: 2 WaterColors LED light
Sanitizer: Zodiac Aquapure salt system
Cleaner: Polaris 360, no booster pump reqd
Solid Safety Cover with Pump

Last edited:
Re: Contract Signed -- Are These Appliances OK?

Definitely still get a two speed pump. And it seems that Raypak heaters tend to get the best reviews. Is the cleaner a suction cleaner or a pressure side cleaner or a robot?

Hi Jason, I just called the PB and its a Polaris 360 pressure cleaner (I updated my specs above). The PB recommends this model because it doesn't need a booster pump. And I asked PB to LMK the price to upgrade to a 2-speed pump. :)

Yeah, signing that contract can drain you (and your wallet). But boy will it be worth it.

A few comments:

I think you will find one light to be rather underwhelming except on the brightest color or two. Two lights would be better, facing away from the house/primary seating area.

Yes, get a two-speed pump. On low they move 1/2 the water with 1/4 the electricity. Our electric rates are moderate but no reason not to be energy efficient. You will only need to run it on high for your cleaner, waterfalls and to skim/circulate quickly on occasion. Most of the time you will be able to run on low. Running on low a two-speed pump is also almost silent. On high it is noticeable. You generally won't leave the waterfalls running unless you are there and then maybe only if you are outside by the pool. If you run them all the time, you will be adding muriatic acid in large volumes, since you already have a SWCG which causes pH rise and therefore MA use. Adding MA is no problem per se, just expense and the time it takes to do it. I use just under a gallon per week with our SWCG pool and 27K gallons for reference. MA use at the beginning will be much higher due to the initial plaster (for up to a year).

Make sure you are getting the PLC1400 model SWCG which is rated at 40,000 gallons (no problem being larger - 2-3 times actual size is recommended). The 12,000 gallon one is too small.

What are you doing for decking?

Feel free to show us a few before pics and a rendering if you have one!

One note, just so you will not be surprised later, the Polaris will need the pump to run at high speed to operate. Personally if it were mine I would skip the Polaris and invest in a drop in electric powered robot.

Yeah, signing that contract can drain you (and your wallet). But boy will it be worth it.

A few comments:

I think you will find one light to be rather underwhelming except on the brightest color or two. Two lights would be better, facing away from the house/primary seating area.

Yes, get a two-speed pump. On low they move 1/2 the water with 1/4 the electricity. Our electric rates are moderate but no reason not to be energy efficient. You will only need to run it on high for your cleaner, waterfalls and to skim/circulate quickly on occasion. Most of the time you will be able to run on low. Running on low a two-speed pump is also almost silent. On high it is noticeable. You generally won't leave the waterfalls running unless you are there and then maybe only if you are outside by the pool. If you run them all the time, you will be adding muriatic acid in large volumes, since you already have a SWCG which causes pH rise and therefore MA use. Adding MA is no problem per se, just expense and the time it takes to do it. I use just under a gallon per week with our SWCG pool and 27K gallons for reference. MA use at the beginning will be much higher due to the initial plaster (for up to a year).

Make sure you are getting the PLC1400 model SWCG which is rated at 40,000 gallons (no problem being larger - 2-3 times actual size is recommended). The 12,000 gallon one is too small.

What are you doing for decking?

Feel free to show us a few before pics and a rendering if you have one!

Second light is too expensive for me :)

Thanks for tip on which model SWCG -- very useful to know!

We are contracting with separate contractor for decking, still haven't figured this out..

And no actual rendering or construction plans to share yet.

- - - Updated - - -

One note, just so you will not be surprised later, the Polaris will need the pump to run at high speed to operate. Personally if it were mine I would skip the Polaris and invest in a drop in electric powered robot.

Good to know regarding high speed for Polaris. We've debated going for a robot, may have to wait to add that feature!

+1. See my post to you in your other thread about cleaners

I also agree, it will pay off big time in the long run to go with a 2 speed pump.

We've debated going for a robot, may have to wait to add that feature!

So we are in the middle of a pool build as well. Here is one thought on the robot. We told the PB to keep the cleaner that he was going to give with the pool and he gave us a $425 credit. When you look at the good robots they are anywhere from $1000 and up. If you take off the $425 then the robot gets a little more palatable to buy now instead of later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Maybe heat pump heater is a better choice.
I don't like the Polaris, either. I personally like the pool robot with remote, such as:

Amazon.com : Dolphin 99996356 Dolphin Triton Robotic Pool Cleaner with Caddy Swivel Cable, 60-Feet : Swimming Pool Robotic Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

Second light is too expensive for me :)

Thanks for tip on which model SWCG -- very useful to know!

We are contracting with separate contractor for decking, still haven't figured this out..

And no actual rendering or construction plans to share yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know regarding high speed for Polaris. We've debated going for a robot, may have to wait to add that feature!

Some unsolicited advice :) I would skip the cleaner for now and get the second light. You can always add a cleaner but you can't add a light. The LEDs are great imo but I know in my pool one would not be enough (I'm at 21k). I had my pb plumb a line for the polaris so I can always add it if it's wanted.

Some unsolicited advice :) I would skip the cleaner for now and get the second light. You can always add a cleaner but you can't add a light. The LEDs are great imo but I know in my pool one would not be enough (I'm at 21k). I had my pb plumb a line for the polaris so I can always add it if it's wanted.

That's a really great idea, especially considering that our pool will be closed right after its filled and balanced (and that is assuming we get plastered this Fall and not early next Spring). Gonna discuss this with the PB on Monday. Thanks!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! We signed our contract on August 7th....STILL waiting for permit!

ouch! Are you waterfront?

- - - Updated - - -

The waiting is driving me crazy, but no rain in the forecast!!

4-inches today, wow

That's a really great idea, especially considering that our pool will be closed right after its filled and balanced (and that is assuming we get plastered this Fall and not early next Spring). Gonna discuss this with the PB on Monday. Thanks!!!

- - - Updated - - -

ouch! Are you waterfront?

- - - Updated - - -

4-inches today, wow

No, not waterfront. I picked my PB based on several good reviews and 0 bad reviews...but I'd think after this long waiting on the permit as a PB I would have called the city to find out what the delay is..instead PB said "we haven't received a phone call or an email from the city stating there is a problem??? Well, I did call the city, come to find out the original drawing didn't pass and nothing else was submitted. A simple phone call from the PB and they also would have known this instead of telling me everyday "the permit is approved, just not ready to be picked up yet" GRRRR!!!! Beyond frustrated!

Our dig is on, and all of the pool equipment delivered! As you can see, access is tight -- 7 feet and bobcat bucket is 6'4". The pool looks HUGE, tho it is actually about 500 sf. I did order a second light because y'all said to ;-)

That spot used to be a pretty little pond -- frogs and fish are safely sequestered in a temporary pond. Everyone went to great lengths to save them all. I showed off my new frog log from Amazon. :)

Very excited for you! Hopefully we get more dig pics than that though. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.