Horseflies?????

Okay, we have just spent thousands on putting in our pool and we cannot even enjoy it. :cry:
The horseflies are driving us CRAZY. :evil: My daughter won't even get in....and when she does she doesn't stay long. And I don't blame her, my hubby, son and I get to the point that we're tired of getting bit (ouch) and splashing constantly, etc, to get rid of them and we get out too. Pools are supposed to be relaxing and fun...... :(

What do we do?? Anyone have a magic solution to our problem? Is there a spray, a light, anything we can use??

Thanks for any help....we are desperate. :(

We have spent years battling those aweful things as well. The fogger we use to combat mosquitos also works on the horseflies. Look for a product with pyrethrin. There are foggers, yard sprays, etc. They are attracted to the water so its not going to completely eliminate all flies but the fogger works really well. We did pick up one of those ThermoCell Mosquito units and it also seems to help with flies, but not as effective as fogging the perimeter. You paid for your pool, you should get to use it!

The year before last DH got bit on the arm and had a reaction so severe that his entire forearm swelled up like Popeye - the Dr. said that about 3 of 100 people will have a severe reaction to horseflies so who wants to risk it - these buggers HURT when they bite so I can understand how you feel.

Thanks everyone.

My hubby and kids were in there this evening and took the badmitten raquets with them. :) They were somewhat helpful I think.

NWMNMom,
I will definitely look for some foggers or something like what you mentioned. That is scary about your DH's arm....can you imagine a small child with a reaction like that? Ouch!!

new2pools said:
Thanks everyone.

My hubby and kids were in there this evening and took the badmitten raquets with them. :) They were somewhat helpful I think.

NWMNMom,
I will definitely look for some foggers or something like what you mentioned. That is scary about your DH's arm....can you imagine a small child with a reaction like that? Ouch!!

I think some people thought I was joking about the badminton rackets, but it's really the only thing we've found to accomplish anything.

Mermaid Queen: As soon as some part of you comes out of the water, they are on you. No amount of splashing, dunking or swatting with your hands will deter them. I hate them :x

JohnT said:
Mermaid Queen: As soon as some part of you comes out of the water, they are on you. No amount of splashing, dunking or swatting with your hands will deter them. I hate them

Having lived in southeast Louisiana for most of my life, I am more than casually acquainted with horseflies... and deerflies, which are even worse, IMHO!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes, let them land, then "WHACK!", do that 2 or 3 times and your pooltime will become relaxing - they're easy to kill, they don't scoot from a standstill like houseflies and they don't bite immediately either, you probably have a good 3-5 seconds once they land to whack them.

If you're not into all that killing, stay under water for at least 10-20 seconds and they usually move on.

However, if you have a boatload of them, whacking and badminton is the only way to go - leave the dead ones scattered about around the pool while you're swimming - it will help deter the rest of the group.

new2pools said:
Got 3 today! :twisted: Still one or two that would come by occasionally, never got those though. Wasn't too bad today....but boy, it sure is exciting when you hit one and don't miss. :twisted: :wink:

That's making the best of it. :lol: Amazing how good it feels to kill one. :twisted:

latest deerfly control research

Here is a link to the latest deerfly research control:

http://ufinsect.ifas.ufl.edu/deerfly_trap.htm

Usually people in Florida will use a black ball covered with a sticky material, Tanglefoot. Latest research recommends the color blue rather than black.

I put up fly traps designed for horse barns around my pool because I have the same problem. They are yellow and covered with Tanglefoot already. Check out your local Large Animal Feed Store or Farm supply store. Very economical.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Try to get your daughter to model that HOT ball cap with a blue cup and tanglefoot. JUST KIDDING! LOL.

We like to drop the dead and injured horseflies into our Koi ponds - the Koi and Goldfish love them.

Re: latest deerfly control research

ikymojoe said:
I put up fly traps designed for horse barns around my pool because I have the same problem. They are yellow and covered with Tanglefoot already. Check out your local Large Animal Feed Store or Farm supply store. Very economical.

What an excellent idea! We live in the middle of 5 wooded acres and our neighbors have horses .... so, we get LOTS of horse flies. I never thought to go to the feed store for something like this!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.