Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horseflies?????

1. Back To Top    #1

Horseflies?????

Okay, we have just spent thousands on putting in our pool and we cannot even enjoy it.
    The horseflies are driving us CRAZY. My daughter won't even get in....and when she does she doesn't stay long. And I don't blame her, my hubby, son and I get to the point that we're tired of getting bit (ouch) and splashing constantly, etc, to get rid of them and we get out too. Pools are supposed to be relaxing and fun......

What do we do?? Anyone have a magic solution to our problem? Is there a spray, a light, anything we can use??

Thanks for any help....we are desperate.
    27' Round AGP, 17200 GAL, 2 HP/2 SPD Pump/Cartridge Filter.......BBB!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Badminton rackets.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    stay in the water! Then you can quick duck your head if one lands on you!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Badminton rackets.
    Would a ping pong paddle work better ???
    Echo Canyon II by Artesian Pools, 13.5 KGal AG Round, 22" Artesian Sand Filter 2 hp Artesian pump
    Med Lab Tech for 12 years in E.TN
    Chem testing by Trouble Free Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5
    Apparently no one here has a 'real' solution... at least not yet!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6
    We have spent years battling those aweful things as well. The fogger we use to combat mosquitos also works on the horseflies. Look for a product with pyrethrin. There are foggers, yard sprays, etc. They are attracted to the water so its not going to completely eliminate all flies but the fogger works really well. We did pick up one of those ThermoCell Mosquito units and it also seems to help with flies, but not as effective as fogging the perimeter. You paid for your pool, you should get to use it!

The year before last DH got bit on the arm and had a reaction so severe that his entire forearm swelled up like Popeye - the Dr. said that about 3 of 100 people will have a severe reaction to horseflies so who wants to risk it - these buggers HURT when they bite so I can understand how you feel.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Thanks everyone.

My hubby and kids were in there this evening and took the badmitten raquets with them. They were somewhat helpful I think.

NWMNMom,
    I will definitely look for some foggers or something like what you mentioned. That is scary about your DH's arm....can you imagine a small child with a reaction like that? Ouch!!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by new2pools
    Thanks everyone.

My hubby and kids were in there this evening and took the badmitten raquets with them. They were somewhat helpful I think.

NWMNMom,
    I will definitely look for some foggers or something like what you mentioned. That is scary about your DH's arm....can you imagine a small child with a reaction like that? Ouch!!
    I think some people thought I was joking about the badminton rackets, but it's really the only thing we've found to accomplish anything.

Mermaid Queen: As soon as some part of you comes out of the water, they are on you. No amount of splashing, dunking or swatting with your hands will deter them. I hate them
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9
    Yes, when you watch others in the pool who have a horsefly on them and they then dunk under the water to get away from it...you see the horsefly hovering over that spot seemingly just waiting for them to come back up. They are very aggresive.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Mermaid Queen: As soon as some part of you comes out of the water, they are on you. No amount of splashing, dunking or swatting with your hands will deter them. I hate them
    Having lived in southeast Louisiana for most of my life, I am more than casually acquainted with horseflies... and deerflies, which are even worse, IMHO!

11. Back To Top    #11

Try to let them land on you and kill them. I read on another pool forum that they are very territorial and once you've killed the ones that bug you, new ones won't come. I've found that to be true in our case over the last couple of years.

12. Back To Top    #12
    yes, let them land, then "WHACK!", do that 2 or 3 times and your pooltime will become relaxing - they're easy to kill, they don't scoot from a standstill like houseflies and they don't bite immediately either, you probably have a good 3-5 seconds once they land to whack them.

If you're not into all that killing, stay under water for at least 10-20 seconds and they usually move on.

However, if you have a boatload of them, whacking and badminton is the only way to go - leave the dead ones scattered about around the pool while you're swimming - it will help deter the rest of the group.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yup, we have a flyswatter by the pool, mainly for that one horsefly that loves to take a chunk out of people!
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

14. Back To Top    #14
    Got 3 today! Still one or two that would come by occasionally, never got those though. Wasn't too bad today....but boy, it sure is exciting when you hit one and don't miss.

15. Back To Top    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by new2pools
    Got 3 today! Still one or two that would come by occasionally, never got those though. Wasn't too bad today....but boy, it sure is exciting when you hit one and don't miss.
    That's making the best of it. Amazing how good it feels to kill one.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

latest deerfly control research

Here is a link to the latest deerfly research control:

http://ufinsect.ifas.ufl.edu/deerfly_trap.htm

Usually people in Florida will use a black ball covered with a sticky material, Tanglefoot. Latest research recommends the color blue rather than black.

I put up fly traps designed for horse barns around my pool because I have the same problem. They are yellow and covered with Tanglefoot already. Check out your local Large Animal Feed Store or Farm supply store. Very economical.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Try to get your daughter to model that HOT ball cap with a blue cup and tanglefoot. JUST KIDDING! LOL.
    30' Above Ground Allegro (22,000 gal), 1.5hp WaterWay HiFlo Pump, Sta-Rite Catridge Filter, Polaris 65 auto cleaner

17. Back To Top    #17
    We like to drop the dead and injured horseflies into our Koi ponds - the Koi and Goldfish love them.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

18. Back To Top    #18

Re: latest deerfly control research

Quote Originally Posted by ikymojoe
    I put up fly traps designed for horse barns around my pool because I have the same problem. They are yellow and covered with Tanglefoot already. Check out your local Large Animal Feed Store or Farm supply store. Very economical.
    What an excellent idea! We live in the middle of 5 wooded acres and our neighbors have horses .... so, we get LOTS of horse flies. I never thought to go to the feed store for something like this!
    42,525 gallon IG gunite pool with DE filter and spill-over hot tub.

19. Back To Top    #19
    Thanks for that info! I will run by a feed store and see what they have. Those hanging nearby, some spray (the mosquitos were biting last night too ) and the badmittens(how DO you spell that?)...they won't stand a chance.

20. Back To Top    #20
    http://www.amazon.com/SkeeterVac-Mosqui ... B00081A1QE

I do not have one of these, but relatives of ours swear by theirs, and they say that it takes out horseflies etc. It's 349. and runs off of propane, so that would cost you another roughly 50 dollars, and around 20 to refill.
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18 x 36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 hp Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Chlorine
    No heater yet...solar cover
    Mount Airy, NC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast