New Pool filled 8/20/15

Aug 24, 2012
Omaha, NE
I have been a long time lurker on this board for several years, this is my first post. Hopefully my signature is setup correctly.

They just finished construction on my pool and started filling Thursday last week. We are on a well, so it was filled with well water. I have never owned a pool before, and my PB has given me no info or help with chemicals, which is probably a good thing since I asked him if he had added any stabilizer and he said that with an auto-cover and SWG that I would only need this during the "very hot part of summer"...from what I've read on here, he way off.

Anyways, here are my numbers from testing this weekend, the water looks clear, but maybe a little cloudy?...I used the TF-100 Test kit:

FC = 1
CC = .5
TC = 1.5
CH = 350
TA = 280
PH = 7.5
CYA = 0 - I didn't test, but nothing has been added to water except pool salt, so I assume this is 0.

From what I have been reading on this site, these numbers are all bad. Pool Math says I need to add 249 oz of 6% bleach, or 18 oz of Trichlor....should I do the Trichlor to increase my CYA as well? Or should I do them separate?

What about the CH? It says the only way to lower this is to partially drain and fill with water without CH in it? I only have access to well water as we are on a well, is there anything else I can do? I really don't want to drain a pool I just filled.

Why is my TA so high? Is this normal for well water as well?

One other thing that may have screwed up my numbers is we have workers putting in a paver patio and they were making all the cuts with the cover open :mad:...so now we are trying to get all the paver dust and sand out of the pool, the robot is not cleaning it up all that fast, the PB is going to show us how to use the vacuum tonight, so hopefully we will get that out tonight.

Thanks in advance!!
Becca

Hello Becca and welcome! :wave: Your sig looks good. :goodjob: Maybe just add "TF-100". So, your first test results huh? Here's what I can see:
- CYA must be increased right away with granular stabilizer via the sock method for a target of 70. The Poolmath calculator can help. Add the required amount to a sock near the return jet and let it dissolve/squeeze occasionally. Re-check CYA in about a week. You need that CYA to protect your chlorine (FC).
- FC is low, but with no CYA, you can't get carried away yet. Until you get your SWG dialed-in properly, start with an initial FC target of about 2ppm today. You can supplement with regular liquid bleach - generic is fine. Then increase to 3ppm tomorrow, then to about 5ppm over the next couple days after that. Hopefully you will get the SWG adjusted by then to stay within the 4-5 ppm range.
- pH is fine
- TA is a bit high, but let's worry about that after your get your FC and SWG going; yeah, it could be the water source.
- CH won't really apply to your vinyl, but may have an effect on your SWG if not monitored, but I think you're good for now.

That should get you going. The filter should continue to capture dust from the pavers and stuff. Let us know fi you have any more questions. Welcome!

Thank you for the response and welcome Texas Splash! This sounds good, I will work on getting the CYA increased, and FC increased. I have a pretty stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer in what I have read in pool school. Where do I buy CYA? Is this only at a Pool Store? Also, you suggest to put the solid granular in a sock by a return jet, pool school says to put it in a sock in the skimmer basket, is one way better than the other? The skimmer seems easier to me, so if they are both good methods I will use the skimmer basket. Let me know. I am so nervous I might screw up my pool. Thanks!

Stabilizer (aka conditioner) can be found at Wal-Mart, or your local home improvement store in their pool section. You'll see the active ingredient of "Cyanuric Acid" on the label and that will be it. They usually go for about $16 - $20 depending upon the pounds size. You're right about the instructions not mentioning the return jet. Either is perfectly acceptable, safe, and will work as long as the stabilizer (granules) is contained in a sock. Remember you can squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate, and once gone, it won't start showing-up on your YCA test for about a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Just so you know ... some places sell liquid stabilizer/conditioner which is safe to use as well and records quicker on the tests. The only drawback is the liquid form is like 2-3 times more expensive than the granular. We're bargain shoppers, so we go with the cheaper version. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.