Persistently High CYA... Despite Big Rain and Drain

LarryG

Jun 3, 2014
Lee County, FL
Relatively new pool owner / TFP follower here. Not knowing any better, used trichlor tabs for about 1.5 years here.
Stopped tabs on August 8, and switched to liquid chlorine.
Prior to yesterday, got two consistent readings of 104 for CYA after doing conservative water replacements.
Yesterday had big rains (remnants of Erika storm). During the storm, I dumped approximately 2000 gallons.
This morning pH was 7.8 (previously 7.5), FC was 4 (previously 9)... but CYA was still 104... after performing the test twice (dilution method)... what???
Any thoughts / recommendations would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

The CYA test isn't the easiest to read/gauge, IMO. At at really high levels and really low levels, numbers can be off quite a bit.

You drained off water that was mixing while it was storming. In other words, you didn't drain 2k gallons first...then filled it up. You drained 2k gallons WHILE filling it up (rain).

That will lead to much less CYA coming out of your pool than the approximately 30% you might be thinking from draining 2k gallons. (2/7 = 0.29)

It's correct that I drained while it was raining, Chris. (Really wanted to do the dump earlier, but we were visiting a sick family member.)
However, when I shut off the submersible, the water level was at the bottom of the skimmer. Over night, the rain brought it up almost 2.5 inches.
So I was pretty surprised with today's CYA number.
More rain is expected this week, so I'll likely continue the quest to a CYA below 80.
Thank you for jumping in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It did not go up. It is in the noise of the test. Lighting plays a large role in the CYA test. Are you pouring the sample back and forth a few times to see if your readings are consistent?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.