Booster pump install

lvrpl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Dallas, TX
I'm going to be installing a new booster pump (Polaris PB4-60) to replace one that just died (an old Hayward 5060). Is there any reason not to use the flex PVC that comes with the pump? Just wondering because the previous pump was plumbed with hard PVC on the inlet to the pump (the outlet on the old pump used flex PVC). Thanks!

The Polaris PB4-60 has 3/4" pipe threads so you can do whatever you find best for your system. 3/4" PVC male adapters are a buck or less at any hardware store.

This pump does come with its own flexible 3/4" tubing and fittings so I just used those but it can certainly be hard piped.

Be sure to do you best to NEVER run this pump without the main pump on. The impeller will overheat, melt, and seize up the motor. DAMHIKT. ;)

Ha, thanks for the tip! I don't think my controller will let my booster run without the main pump.

Ok so another question on the flex pipe - any reason not to do just a 2 or 3 inch section of it? Turns out the old pump was leaking partially because the clown that had this before me plumbed the hard pipe into the booster inlet at a not exactly perpendicular angle. The plumbing is also a bit tight so I'm wondering if I can do a short section of the flex pvc to get the pipes that come together at slightly different heights and angles to join up. Does that make sense?

booster-pump-plumbing.jpg

This is the best of I have right now. The intention of the pic wasn't to show the booster pump but I think it gets the point across.

I have a 1" line to the pool for the cleaner and I transitioned from 1" to 3/4" and use all those 45s (long story short, I had a lot of them on hand and didn't feel like going to get 90s) and to a male adapter which I threaded the Polaris fittings onto.

I'd say a foot. The shorter one, not in the pic, on the main intake is about 6-8". That is taken off my pool return line.

You're only going to have a 2" flex line? The fittings, the black Polaris ones, will take up the whole flex unless you mean 2" of exposed line. That 'nut' on the black fitting is probably a good inch long I'm guessing.

Ya, I'm planning on maybe 2" of exposed flex pvc. Not ideal, I know, but I've got some space constraints. I'd have to rework some major plumbing to get more space and I don't want to do that until I replace my heater this winter. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.