Stains on steps and spa

Dec 27, 2013
Hi all - I'm sure this is a question that's been asked many times, but I figured I would ask again. We have yellowish stains by the water line on the stairs and in the spa, both of which are gray plastic/fiberglass, I'm not exactly sure. We have very hard water in our town, and the water softener does not soften the water that goes to our outside hose - is it possible these are hard water stains? When I had our water tested earlier in the summer they told me it was actually softer than it should be for a swimming pool. Or if that's not what it is, what else could be the cause, and what is our best solution for getting rid of it? I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks,
Andy

Go get some Vitamin C tablets and hold them against the stain. If this causes the stain to disappear that tells you the stain is a metal stain. Either from your water or from added metals (some algaecides, mineral systems etc)

As to your having water tested elsewhere- you need your own reliable test kit. That is the only way we recommend testing pools routinely. We recommend either the TF-100 or the Taylor's K2006, both available from TFTestkits.net.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.