Been trying to get clear water for a month!

Hi, I live in California and have spent lots of money trying to get rid of algae. We have had the water tested at the pool store and all the levels are ok, and algae dead. Tiny particles of dead algae causing the cloudy green water. They sold us a bag of Burn Out, used half a bag as directed, filter has been changed/ running 24/7.

Do we use the rest of the Burn Out and hope for the best?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

MS

Intex Pool
18x48
New

Welcome to TFP!

We do not trust pool store testing, so a statement that "levels are good" is not very helpful.

If you want to take control, then invest in one of the recommended test kits and post up a full set of test results.

I do not even know what burn out is. Most of us do not use those "special" pool chemicals.

Margaret, you need to be doing your own testing. The most amazing thing happens when you do so- you save tons of money *not* buying mystical lotions and potions that the pool store sells you after they tell you you have a problem.

We only recommend these two kits- The TF-100 or the Taylor's K-2006, both available from TFTestkits.net or in your area PoolSupplyWorld.com

Our solution for green is liquid chlorine. You can use common 8.25% household bleach (reg plain, no scents, dripless or outdoor types) and based on your own testing and the knowledge of your CYA level we can help tell you how much to add to SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain) your pool clear. It is NOT a one time dose thing, its a process. Its like taking antibiotics, you have to do the complete prescription even though you feel better by day two and want to stop.

Holler back if you get a test kit and want more input. :)

Welcome to TFP!

+1 to what the other respondents have said about the accuracy (or lack thereof) of pool store testing. I use the TF-100 and primarily two chemicals to manage my pool: (1) Plain unscented liquid bleach, and (2) muriatic acid as needed. No magic "pool store" potions are needed. With the right test kit, managing a pool can be quite simple.