Getting rid of Mineral Springs

aarsic

Aug 30, 2015
Berryville/Virginia
Hi Forum,

This is my first post. I've decided not to continue with Mineral Springs due to cost. I've been reading about adding borax and baking soda (I already add Muriatic acid and cya as needed). I can figure out the baking soda, but if I'm putting in a bag of Renewal weekly (pool about 30,000 gallons) how much borax does that equate to on a weekly basis? Or do you not do borax weekly like the Renewal? Thanks much in advance!

A button on the ribbon of 5 buttons at the top of the page that will tell you exactly what and how much to add to maintain correct levels in your pool based on gallon size and ACCURATE test results.
Got one of our recommended test kits?

We're here to help in any way we can. Just be sure to ask here, before you do, buy, or add anything. You'll get help at any point you need it. If you don't understand something, ASK!! That's what we are here for. Please feel free to keep asking until it makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In lieu of weekly Mineral Springs Renewal (which has baking soda, and I hear borates, and salt) - my question is how much salt do you put in weekly?

None. The only thing you should need to do is chlorine and adjust pH. Here is a link to a good thing to keep handy:

Basic Pool Care Schedule

aarsic,

pabeader will be a great help to you, definitely listen to him :thumleft:

One small bit of advice - it would help greatly if you could update your signature with the specifics about your pool and equipment. It helps so that people reading your thread don't have to go searching through it to find out details like pool volume or plaster versus vinyl, etc.

Good luck and welcome to TFP!!

I have a salt water generator that is dependent on salt to make chlorine. Or do you just put salt in initially only if you don't use the Mineral Springs Beginnings? Thanks! I'm not a pool newbie - just converting over from Mineral Springs (probably next year and if possible for the rest of the month a Renewal replacement).

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks - I'll work on my signature.

I have a salt water generator that is dependent on salt to make chlorine. Or do you just put salt in initially only if you don't use the Mineral Springs Beginnings? Thanks! I'm not a pool newbie - just converting over from Mineral Springs (probably next year and if possible for the rest of the month a Renewal replacement).

When using a SWG you have to add the salt in one large dose, wait a day for it to dissolve and test, then turn the SWG on and carry on. You will want your FC to already be in the normal range by using bleach until the SWG takes over. Then you just tweak the SWG percentages (how long/much it runs) to meet your needs. Your CYA should be raised to the 70-80 ppm range when using a SWG also.

Just to clarify - I've been using salt for 2 years - but I've been using Mineral Springs Beginnings and Renewal and the Bioguard products. I understand what my ranges should be with a SWG - I'm just asking about the substitute products (basic salt, etc) in LIEU of using Mineral Springs because it costs so much and you don't get much different, in my opinion. Thanks.

Is your SWG showing any error messages? If not then you're okay. If so, post them and we'll see what we can do.

I have to do more research on the Mineral Springs system. Usually, there is an initial largish amount of salt added to the pool to get the SWG going. Then the Mineral Springs would just add a little just to keep up losses from backwashing and splashout and that type of thing. The salt never really goes away, in a perfect world it just keeps getting recycled between the SWG and the pool.

The salt never really goes away, in a perfect world it just keeps getting recycled between the SWG and the pool.
This,is the part a lot of folks can't seem to understand - it's basically a closed loop system. The SWCG turns the salt into chlorine, then the chlorine as it sanitizes/oxidizes bad stuff in the water is converted back to salt. It's a big circle.

The only salt you loose (which must be replaced) is through water leaving the pool, splash out, carried out in swim suits, backwashing filters or any other situation where water physically leaves the pool, but not counting evaporation as evaporation leaves all minerals like salt behind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.