Hello from California -- planning to replace current pool

calbear

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 28, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Hello all. Had been coming by occasionally but the forums helped me solve a suction problem the other day, and now I'm a member. We bought a house a few years ago with an existing in-ground pool that's over 20 years old now. Technically, it's a mess; so many things wrong with it in terms of shape, border/coping, plaster, plumbing setup, decking, etc. that we're thinking about a complete remove and replace project next spring. This would include removing the entire pool, digging out to a slightly larger, rectangular shape (probably with an integrated hot tub and automatic cover) and installing quality equipment like perhaps a DE filter and chlorine generator (all to code, with all the necessary valves, automation, etc. that we don't have today) and building a whole hardscape to go with it. BIG project, but we plan to live here for 25+ more years, so the investment feels reasonable.

As we're start to plan this, I'll be reading the forums extensively, and will very much appreciate advice and recommendations.
Thanks!
Dan

Hello & welcome! Sounds like a big project, one worth watching so be sure and take lots of pics to post (you can use Photobucket so you can post as many as you like). Folks around here love to look at pics! ;)

One of the most wonderful things about this forum is the broad wealth of knowledge of all things pool related. Feel free to ask for advice or opinions of anything you may have a question or hesitation about. Happy planning! :)

Thanks - will do! I love to take in-process pictures myself. Not only is it fun to catalog the process, it's helpful sometimes if you later need to know where something is buried. For example, we did a big house remodel, and having a picture of a particular wall without the sheet rock on helped later when we needed to run another wire inside the wall - we knew exactly where the existing pipes and conduit were. :cool: I won't bore people with how bad the current pool and surrounding hard/landscaping is, but will certainly take some "before" pictures too.

Does there already exist in a forum somewhere some kind of project template or worksheet that helps one think about all the aspects that need to be considered in planning for a new installation? Thanks!