Low PH value AND low free chlorine - Possible?

Pool-owner

Jul 12, 2015
Edison/NJ
Dear Fellow Fool Owners:

I was a away for 2 weeks and found algae (mild form) in the pool when I got back.

Tripled shocked it, scrubbed the surface and added algae-cide. Also added some pool-aid to dissolve the dead algae, etc.

Above 4-5 days later, the pool started to clear up after some vacuuming.

However, the PH level is very low while the free chlorine level is also low. I am a bit confused as low PH means too acidic. If so why would free chlorine be low?

I added another bag of shock to increase free chlorine level. I also added two Clear Balance tablets (Arm and Hammer) in an attempt to increase PH. Am I doing the right thing? :confused::confused::confused:

Your pH level and the chlorine level are completely unrelated. You could have low FC and a very high or very low pH ... or vice versa.

What did you use to "triple shock" {whatever that means}? Likely these are why your pH crashed. Also algaecide and whatever pool-aid is are not needed and not recommended.

You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to rid yourself of the algae, but you need to post up a full set of test results before that so we can see what might need to be adjusted.

Are you using one of the Recommended Test Kits?

Stop dumping random chemicals into the pool.

Dear Fellow Fool Owners:

I was a away for 2 weeks and found algae (mild form) in the pool when I got back.

Tripled shocked it, scrubbed the surface and added algae-cide. Also added some pool-aid to dissolve the dead algae, etc.

Above 4-5 days later, the pool started to clear up after some vacuuming.

However, the PH level is very low while the free chlorine level is also low. I am a bit confused as low PH means too acidic. If so why would free chlorine be low?

I added another bag of shock to increase free chlorine level. I also added two Clear Balance tablets (Arm and Hammer) in an attempt to increase PH. Am I doing the right thing? :confused::confused::confused:
Welcome to TFP!

This is a comprehensive website that provides free help to pool owners. There are about 90,000 members here, so as they say, 90,000 members can't be wrong! But we don't ever recommend most of the items you've mentioned above to fix or maintain pools. This site promotes a different, easier, more simplified, and more effective method of pool care; not the same as what you've probably been told in the past.

You are including alot of statements in the original post that evidences that you don't understand what is taught here. It's a good thing you found us, because now you'll be able to understand how to fix and maintain your pool cheaply and easily. You'll be taking control of your pool, but first, you'll have to get the right kind of test kit and learn how to care for a pool the right way. You can't rely on pool store testing or most of the kits sold in pool stores. They are almost always inaccurate and that will lead to not getting the problem fixed or the problem getting worse. You also can't rely on pool store advice or even professionals' advice, because, unless they promote free chlorine levels based on the CYA level of your pool, it is not the right way. And almost nowhere but here recommends free chlorine levels based on the CYA level of pools. In other words, unless you need a specific product that only the pool stores sell as is recommended on here, i.e. CYA, stay out of the pool store.

You need to do some things so that we speak the same language and can help you.
(1) Order a suitable test kit ASAP; wait for it to arrive; and when it arrives do a full round of tests and post them here. Do this step first! These are the only kits that will actually help you fix the pool.Pool School - Test Kits Compared
(2) While you're waiting, try to get your PH in range; find and use a drop kit that turns red for higher PH levels if possible. These are usually pretty cheap and will get you close while waiting for your good test kit.
(3) Start adding 1-gallon of bleach every evening while you're waiting so your pool doesn't get much worse while waiting on the kit, but you'll need to ensure that when you test the PH, do it before adding bleach in the evening, as high chlorine levels will make the PH test inaccurate.
(4) Read and understand the ABCs of pool care. This will help us speak the same language. Right now, you're speaking Greek. Once you understand pool care the way it is taught on here, you won't be confused anymore. The TFP way is not that complicated, but it's much different than what the industry teaches, and another difference is that this method actually works and keeps owners from getting in the trouble you're in now. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
(5) Ask questions about what you're not clear on, so we can get you up to speed. Post statements about what you believe to be true. This often helps straighten new members out
(6) Stop using any form of chlorine except for liquid. Stop using these other products such as algaecides. Add only liquid chlorine or bleach, which are the same thing, only in different concentrations; borax and/or acid to control PH; and baking soda if necessary to raise TA, but nothing else. Bleach will not cause the PH to drop in your pool. Many of the other products that you've been using probably do.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.