Deck/ Coping Sealers ???

divnkd101

LifeTime Supporter
I would like to get everyones opinion on Decking/ Coping sealers. I am in discussions with my pool builder concerning the look of my flagstone surround around the pool and spa. It looks as if it is fading/ lightening as time goes on. Furthermore, it tends to have that sandy, gritty feeling when you rub your hands across it. He dropped off a bottle of "Diamond Clear" Protect a Deck. This is what it says on the side of the bottle:

"Protects & Preserves Cool Deck, Aggregate, Masonry, Concrete, and Wood Decking.. Reduces Staining caused by Minerals, Algae, dirt, and grime.. Slip resistance is maintained.. Reduces Chalking, Cracking, and Flaking..Environmentally friendly.. Reduces water absorption."

Does anyone have experience with any type of sealer on flagstone? If yes, please chime in and give me some pros and cons. I am all ears. As it stands now, I plan to do a sample test this weekend on a piece I have left over from the build. Thanks for any input.... :D

We had a wood deck with flagstone patio at our last house and I used an approved sealer. It prevented some of the staining that you can get, but in some areas, it showed a white-ish film when wet. It wasn't a big deal, but I noticed it. When dry, it did have a little more sheen (slightly darkened), which was nice.

Around our pool though, I don't have any plans to seal the flagstone. I figure a VERY light pressure washing a few times a year should keep it looking good.

I recently sealed my flagstone coping and inlays.

Some types of flagstone are more durable than others. Ideally you would use a hardener first, then an impregnator/sealer after that. The hardener bonds deep in the stone and keeps it from flaking. The sealer repels water. There are sealers that do not change the color of the stone (stone looks dry) and there are color enhancers (stone looks wet).

I chose a color enhancer and a sealer all in one because I like the dark appearance of the Oklahome Wister flagstone that it gets when its wet.

The product I used is Enhancer Pro from http://www.stonetechpro.com/. It was very easy to apply with a 4" sponge roller and an extension handle. I only had about 200 sq ft and I was able to put 2 coats on in about an hour and a half.

So far I am very happy with the results. My flagstone looks nice and dark and produces much less dust than before.

divnkd101 said:
It dissipates within the pool.

This part is concerning. I would think it would not be a bright idea to introduce any unnecessary chemicals into the pool. Hopefully chem geek or one of the other pro's will chime in on what dropping this stuff into your pool water will do.

If its truly harmless I would not mind sealing the concrete and interlock around my pool.

TheOne,

How's your sealer looking?

Anyone else with sealer experience (good or bad)?

I'm wanting to seal my "old" bricks that I used for coping and spa veneer, and also the "bluestone" that I used for spillover.

Ideally, my sealer would achieve a wet look, but not leave a glossy film... probably too much too ask... but hey, have not because you ask not...

steve

Steve,

Diamond Clear did not do the job. I have moved on to a new type sealer I am trying. I was planning on putting a review in this weekend. I am at work and I don't have all the information with me. My PB dropped off a quart and asked me to be the Guinea Pig with testing. So far, the one section of Flagstone I have done is sealed (Beads up when water falls on it) where on other sections, the water just soaks in. I will get my review in this weekend with some photos as well.

Good deal, looking forward to reading it.

My larger concern is my "old brick" coping and spa veneer. I don't expect either to deteriorate quickly, but it won't be easily replaced either. I love the way it looks wet... dark, but not glossy... seems hard to duplicate with a sealer.

My spillover is supposedly "Tennessee bluestone"... I like it, but i could be relatively easily replaced if needed. Then again, its wetted daily, so I'm thinking that it should be easier to make "look" good.... since it's basically hid by the water running over it.... but of course, it's pretty susceptable to erosion, and perhaps corrosion.

A good puzzle to be solved...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I followed TheOne's link above, and found a different product specifically for SW pools. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

DuPont™ StoneTech® Professional Salt Water Resistant Sealer
Features and Benefits
• High performance protection against salt water damage
• For natural stone and masonry surfaces around salt water pools
• Protection against water-based stains
• Preserves natural look
• Easy-to-use, water-based formula

Has anyone sealed fladstone successfully. Was there a SWG being used? Im having some deteriooration but dont know if its the salt or traffic. I want to treat the stone but dont know what to use.
thanks

I need to replace the sealer in my expansion joint between the pool concrete deck and the brick coping. However, there has been either some letting of the coping or some sinking of the concrete decking. It's not enough to cause major reconstruction or concrete jacking maneuvers but in some places there is as much as 3/8" to 1/2" height difference. The brick coping is slightly higher than the concrete decking.

Using a self leveling material will leave an unsightly lip sticking up. Is there an alternative caulking material that will equally serve the purpose but will allow me to fill in the gap of these unlevel surfaces?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.