Water tinged simply not clearing up

Aug 5, 2015
Bethpage
My pool started out crystal clear, and after about 4 weeks, it developed a turquoise hue that I can't seem to correct. I purchased a Taylor testing kit with the following results.

PH 7.6
ALC 100
CYA 60.

I dumped in a gallon of liquid cholorine per the pool math suggestions. It's been several days with the sand filter running constantly, but there is still the turquoise hew to the water.

I've changed the sand in the filter, figuring that the filter was not cleaning, but still no luck.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your interest Kim.

Using the Taylor K-2006 test kit, after the combined chlorine test, I added 8 drops R-0871 until my test sample went from pink to colorless. 8 x .2 = 1.6

I'm new using the test kit as previously I went to my pool supplier for water testing.

Tony C.

Lets back you up a bit............

FC=Free Chlorine=the good stuff that will keep your water clear. You get this by adding the powder FAS-DPD to your sample of water. I would use the 10 line to save your supplies.

When you add a large scoop of the powder with the little blue spoon into the pool water the water should turn pink. See this video to see just how to do it.

How to Use a Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 - YouTube

CC is when you add the R-0003 and it turns pink then you add the drops to clear it. You do not want your CC to be more than .5

I hope the video helps.

Kim

CC=the bad stuff

Thanks again Kim,

I just retested while watching the video. Using the powder and the drops, my FC is 10 (which i'm assuming is because of gallon of liquid chlorine I added last night), and the CC still comes in at 1.6

Would too much chlorine turn the water turquoise??

Nope That is just the right amount of chlorine..........

Now when you say turquoise.......is there any way you can take and post a pic that shows the color. Looking down at the steps would be best so I can see how clear it is. You can use phototbucket or such to link them.

Where is Bethpage?

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would call that cloudy blue and with the high CC it's time to SLAM that pool.

You can use the 10ml sample size so your results will be in increments of .5 which will save you reagents (don't need as many drops).

Please read the article in Pool School about the SLAM process and follow the directions completely to the end.

Did the pool get worse just after you added the chlorine? From the looks of it you may have a problem with metals in your pool. Have you used any algaecide or pool strore mineral systems (both of which can / do contain metals)

Funny, I saw the name and said I know people with that last name. Then Kim said you're from bethpage, and that's where I was from too. [emoji41] So I guess I know you, or at least some of your family.

With the high CC number and the way the water looks, you definitely need to slam the pool. I haven't gone crazy trying to find the best prices on bleach or anything, but I know ace hardware had 10% liquid chlorine for 3.50/gallon. Depends how big your pool is, but I would gather up some chlorine to get ready to start the slam.

I assume you're going to get ready to close the pool in a month or so, at which time it will be perfect for you to drain water, and when you refill in the spring your cya number should come down right where you want it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.