First fill, New pool, First post. What should I expect :)

juggy

Aug 23, 2015
davie/florida
Hi, my pool was just completed and they're in the process of filling it up now. I've gotten the Marbletite midnight blue that was just applied so I'm assuming the pool is being filled as we speak (I'm at work so not certain). My question is.. What now? If there's water in the pool, do I just jump in and swim? I've read bits and pieces that the acid wash needs to filter out. Can I swim right away or does it take days before it's safe?

My pool builder offers one month of free pool service, are they coming every day to brush off that acid wash and make sure the water levels are correct? My co-worker told me the first week is critical to make sure water levels are correct every day. Is the pool guy coming every day to do that? Ugh.. I'm lost because it's happening right now and I don't know what's expected of me and if I don't do the right thing the dark blue will mess up or streak somehow! Any advice on what to expect over the next 2 weeks would be appreciated :)

Btw, hello! I'm located in south florida and have a SWG pool, 15x30 (101LF) and this is my first pool ever. I'm from NYC, we don't have pools, we have concrete =)

Talk to your pool guy/builder and see what is up. What kind of a start-up process are they following...if anything?

I would say the first 28 days are pretty critical but the most critical is to fill up and do not stop the fill up as that can cause a line in the plaster that supposedly is impossible to remove. So fill up to and past the tiles and/or to the mid-point of the skimmer.

Hopefully they are handling things appropriately but there are a couple different start-up procedures and I'll let the folks who know those better than me discuss them.

FWIW, I went with the start-up procedures as outlined by the National Plasterers Council.

Put your 'numbers' in your signature so we can help you best. Look at mine for ideas of what to write.

Do you have a test kit? You will need one. Either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 (TFTestkits.net).

Finally, read Pool School. Since this is your first pool, you will be appropriately educated and won't have to go through the pain and suffering and $$$s your local pool store will put you through. Kudos to you for finding this site right away!!! WELCOME!! :party:

I hate to mention this but... go ahead and ask your pool builder if there is anything you need to know or do if this tropical storm dumps a mess load of rain on your new filled plaster pool.

You know, forewarned is forearmed! :jocolor:

Thanks for your responses! Well I had just ordered the Taylor K2006, I'll put my numbers once I get all the documents from the PB. Turns out they didn't fill the pool or put the plaster. I found the claim that they were going to do it on Friday a bit dubious since there was some remaining plumbing and wiring I saw that was still incomplete. I guess my assumptions were correct because they blamed not showing up on the rain (it was cloud free on Friday) and then said they'd try again today (and didn't show up).

I'm guessing they'll be done thurs-fri, weather permitting. If they fill by next Friday, will it be ready by Monday to swim in?

Gotta love pool builders. I had plenty of times during my remodel where someone was supposed to show and they didn't. Very frustrating but it seems the trades just work like this. Sigh.

Anyway, you should find out what kind of start-up procedure you want to follow UNLESS the PB is going to do one for you. My understand is that a bi-carbonate start-up is one of the better ways to start-up.

A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.