New pool light problem

Jun 8, 2015
Rocklin Ca
My pool light keeps tripping the GFI. I just replaced my light bulb It went on for about 10 min the GFI tripped. So I pulled the fixture out today no moister at all in it. So I remove the bulb turned on the switch GFI tripped. If I disconnect the wires the other light (have 2 lights) stays on and other outlets stay hot. So I took a compressor blew out the fixture and were the cord enters thinking may water is getting in threw the cord , did not help . Now I have it sitting in the sun to maybe at the end of the day it will work. I’m thinking I need a new Fixture.

I know the cord leaving the fixture has a splice in it . Now I assume the conduit has water in it. I wont go into detail how the splice was done I would be amazed if water got in, plus the light did function for a while I also tested the fixture it was reading 118VAC . so if the splice was bad the light would have never gone on .

Now the other problem is the light had about a 12” of extra on it to change the light , that’s why there’s a splice. And to get the cord to pull threw the conduit was almost impossible So pulling a new cord threw for new fixture might be a real challenge.

Any thoughts Ideas

What is the Orange round sticky out of the resin ?

Attachments

• pool light-2.jpg
    pool light-2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 46
So the fixture has been sitting in the sun for about 3 hours, So now the GFI dose not trip and reading a 118VAC at the fixture. So that confirms the splice is solid but also makes me suspect moisture is entering threw the cord. It was dry when I took it apart must be the cord. Any suggestions ?

There are “Submersible Wire Splice Kit” available pretty common. I think even Home Depot sells them. That is what copied. I used soldered joints staggered, then put a thin layer of silicone on the joint , then shrink tube , then Silicone with a longer piece of shrink tube , Did that on all 3 joints .Then put silicone on all off it then shrink tube over that lapping over the cable ends couple inches on each side , more silicone , longer piece of shrink tube lapping over the two cable ends another couple inches. So I think I’m good .

I replaced the GFI about 3 months ago I redid the wiring in the panel box it was just unorganized mess. On the same subject I replaced all the GFI's in the house last year after drooping an extension cord in the pool and the GFI did not trip. They do where out.

Then why dose the light function with no problems at all when it's been out of the pool, after it's dried out? The splice is still submerged if theres water in the conduit ? It seems to me if you have underwater splice you would defiantly want a GFI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.