Calculating my pool volume - or - Geometry is fun!

rdshackleford

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
Coatesville, PA
For years I have wanted to do a precise calculation of the gallon size of my pool. I've used many online calculators and have gotten about as many different estimates as there are calculators out there. The answer doesn't matter that much, I just really wanted to figure it out, do the math, and let that section of my brain get a little excersize.

I found an old schematic of my pool with dimensions, which makes it pretty easy. Yes, the pool is not going to match the schematic exactly, and none of the sides are perfectly straight, and none of the corners are truly square.
blQnslH.jpg

The following calculations assume 36" of water fill in the shallow end.
PDh1RZS.png

Whew. Roughly 29,000 gallons.
Furthermore, I calculated each inch of fill adds about 494 gallons. I always wondered about that.

-R

if you want to have some real fun, use calculus!! :)

Integral or differential? I think I may have used calculus one time in real life. I don't remember what I used it for, but I was so happy to finally use something from those 3 semesters.

- - - Updated - - -

You hope. Same feeling I get when they deliver heating oil.
I think I'll find a pretty darn good estimate when I get the water bill for my complete fill-up 6 weeks ago!!! ugh....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.