PHOTOS: Final Supply Delivery Damaged Concrete Deck...What to ask for compensation???

TheBraLady

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Concord, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
And here I thought we were going to have a build that went off without a hitch...

Today the vermiculite, concrete and liner were delivered. And they dragged it ONTO OUR BRAND NEW CONCRETE DECK! Needless to say, we were not home. The ONE DAY that I have not been here to "watch over" things, and here you go.

See the sloppy job in photos:

All that dirt...and they had to put the delivery on FRESH CONCRETE.

Just a sloppy mess. Torn bags:

Here's one rough scraped blemish:

And again after we brushed aside the powdery mess:

And another blemish.....

Is there an art to letting a pallet hang off the edge????

Because the builders probably would rather have the vermiculite scattered on the deck...not in the bags ready to mix for the pool bottom...

So - just to be clear - I love our builders. They have been wonderful. But the delivery from his supply company??? Not so much. This is just ridiculous.

I would love to hear some ideas of how to fix this. We don't know what the deck looks like under the pallets. Hubby says that some of the boards are ripped off underneath, so the nails could have been exposed and dug in places that we just don't yet see...

I hesitate (at the moment - again, haven't seen everything under the pallets) to ask for the deck to be repaired, afraid that would stand out just as badly...

Builder is calling me tomorrow to discuss. I've emailed him the photos and expressed my disappointment - again, not necessarily in HIM but in the delivery company...

Hubby and I are trying to decide what is a fair and reasonable request. Our final payment will be due next week when the liner is in and the pool is complete. That's going to be around $3500 and I feel that's pretty steep.

We thought about asking for him to cover the fill water. We were going to pay $275/load for that and it would take 3 loads...that's around $825.

We also want a robot - the Dolphin M400. That was included in our final payment at around $1000...

Suggestions?

Sara

Absolutely crappy for them to do that but I'm having a hard time seeing those two nicks being worth too much if any compensation. Might need to wait to see what the total damage is when the pallets are gone.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. If you are a delivery driver and a brand new pool is there wouldn't you assume you shouldn't put the supplies on concrete that looks that new????

Seriously????

Look at all that land to place things and they put it on the brand new concrete deck??? I am in disbelief.

First I wouldn't expect that your pool guy has to eat the cost of this. Second I would ask him to have the company that did the delivery to pay for the damages. You paid for a new pool with a decent concrete deck not one that someone set a bunch of stuff on and marred. If it cannot be repaired correctly and not be visible then the delivery company should have to pay to have your deck replaced. Your pool builder should fight for that! They can work out a deal where maybe the PB gives them the labor at cost or something but still the delivery company should pay. If the pool builder just sweeps it under the rug how will they learn not to do stuff like this? It would only take one time of having to pay out to fix someones deck for them to learn not to put supplies on fresh concrete hopefully.

Oh and don't let your PB move that stuff until the delivery company owner or manager comes out and sees it.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. If you are a delivery driver and a brand new pool is there wouldn't you assume you shouldn't put the supplies on concrete that looks that new????

Seriously????

Look at all that land to place things and they put it on the brand new concrete deck??? I am in disbelief.

First I wouldn't expect that your pool guy has to eat the cost of this. Second I would ask him to have the company that did the delivery to pay for the damages. You paid for a new pool with a decent concrete deck not one that someone set a bunch of stuff on and marred. If it cannot be repaired correctly and not be visible then the delivery company should have to pay to have your deck replaced. Your pool builder should fight for that! They can work out a deal where maybe the PB gives them the labor at cost or something but still the delivery company should pay. If the pool builder just sweeps it under the rug how will they learn not to do stuff like this? It would only take one time of having to pay out to fix someones deck for them to learn not to put supplies on fresh concrete hopefully.

Oh and don't let your PB move that stuff until the delivery company owner or manager comes out and sees it.

To piggyback off this reply.

You're not being hard on your PB by asking for reimbursement, because he's going to get it from the delivery company. In my opinion, you paid for a new deck, and a new deck does not have chunks missing out of it. In my mind, you'd be within your right to demand a new deck to be quite honest, so don't feel like you're asking too much.

I don't know how much you paid for the build, but I do know they cost a small fortune and the finish product should be free of damage. Whoever delivered that material is a grade A idiot. I'd be livid.

Well, I'm sure they put them as close to the hole as possible to minimize having to manually haul it over. At least that's my take.

I'm sort of having a hard time seeing more than one gouge and perhaps they can sand it out or something? A little too early to over react yet and suggest dollar amounts until you see what's under those pallets of vermiculite. Then you might have a stronger case to get compensation.

Just getting home for the day - and I am beyond happy.

I emailed these same photos to our builder and he spoke with the supplier who had this delivered. Both are livid.

THEY have immediately offered to either rip out the entire pour and redo...or give us a Kool deck upgrade at no cost to us. This is an estimated $6K upgrade to our deck.

I'm pretty blown away at this level of accountability and customer service so instantly. Builder responded within hours to my emailed pictures last night and called me before 9am this morning - after having already talked to the upper management at the supply company. They said the driver that dropped that stuff off had been with them for 17 years and they were at a loss for words as to why he didn't just put the shipment on the ground. I guess everybody just has an off day now and then...

So - builder is bringing me color samples to take a look at on Tuesday!

Sara

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OH MY! Now THAT is customer service!

It hate that you had that happen :( I guess every build has to have a hiccup but that is a BIG one. I am overjoyed they are going so far over to take care of it. When your build is done you need to name your builder here and all over yelp and such in your area.

Kim

Trust me, I will, and already have been bragging on them to any who will listen. I was totally shocked when they made no excuses at all and immediately offered the Kool Deck option. It's above and beyond what I hoped for.

I will name names Tuesday after pool school. :)

Sara

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.