Recovering from the pool store!

Aug 26, 2015
Brighton, MI
This july the stinking pool store had me add a stocking full of CYA. The problem is that my level was 67. Now I'm trying to clear my pool from a CYA of 200ish. The pool store and even the three other pool stores I went to all told me this was an ok level, and with a little persistence I could clear my pool from a stubborn alge bloom. Buy this alegcide, we'll worry about the copper later... Dump in 20 gallons of bleach at a time...
I was sure the problem was not just a stubborn algee, so after reading your TFP school... I am making the switch. My taylor test kit arrived this week and I'm refilling my pool from a partial drain. I don't think it will be enough to get the CYA in check, but I plan on closing the pool in a couple weeks, and I was hoping to use it before the season is over.
I'm frustrated and mad a the lack of ownership from the store, but I guess if I finally learn how to really care for my own pool, I'll be better off.
Thats my story... Wish me luck!
elizabeth

Greetings from a former Michigander!! You will love taking ownership of this beast.
Please post a few pics and a full set of measurements from your kit.

There are a bunch of links and things that others are going to be posting shortly. I just wanted to say HI and get you going.

Please add the model number of your Taylor kit to your sig. Folks are going to ask for that right away.

I'm feeling so bad! i really didn't think things were as bad as they are, but they are certainly not good! I emptied my pool like I would for winter closing and refilled from my well and with a pool bobby. Tonight I ran my tests, here's the bad news:
FC 40
CC 0
PH 7.4
ALK can't get it to read it goes from blue/ green to yellow
CYA I did half tap and half pool water I'm reading over 100, so that makes it over 200

I called that pool store and talked to the owner, and he hung up on me!
I'm feeling like I'm ready to close the pool, and just drain it and start fresh next year.������

The good news is I didn't add the 12 lbs of alkilinity increased the pool store sold me.

Good luck Elizabeth,
just consider being pool stored a learning experience and move on from there. You'll find everythign you need here at TFP in the way of knoledge of what to do, and your pool chemicals in the grocery store. So easy to do once you just get that CYA down.

This july the stinking pool store had me add a stocking full of CYA. The problem is that my level was 67. Now I'm trying to clear my pool from a CYA of 200ish. The pool store and even the three other pool stores I went to all told me this was an ok level, and with a little persistence I could clear my pool from a stubborn alge bloom. Buy this alegcide, we'll worry about the copper later... Dump in 20 gallons of bleach at a time...
I was sure the problem was not just a stubborn algee, so after reading your TFP school... I am making the switch. My taylor test kit arrived this week and I'm refilling my pool from a partial drain. I don't think it will be enough to get the CYA in check, but I plan on closing the pool in a couple weeks, and I was hoping to use it before the season is over.
I'm frustrated and mad a the lack of ownership from the store, but I guess if I finally learn how to really care for my own pool, I'll be better off.
Thats my story... Wish me luck!
elizabeth

Also, you reported an FC of 40. Is the 40 drops to go from pink to clear or is it actually 40ppm ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes FC reads 40, it took 80 drops to turn clear. I ran the test again just to be sure.
I drained about 1/3 of the pool before these readings. So I understand I need to drain the pool, I'm thinking I need to drain 3/4 or more to get that CYA down, but we are planning to close in the next couple weeks. So, I'm wondering, can my family swim in this thing? Can I winterize it as is and finish the drain in the spring? I'm just hating the thought of dumping all the water for a refill just before I close.
your advice is much appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been helping another forum member with the same dilemma - extremely high CYA just before closing up north as well. Tough call. All I could tell the other member was that when CYA gets that high, everything becomes a guessing game since we really have no way to record levels that high. Can you swim? I suppose so, but there are two concerns: 1) Is there enough FC to properly sanitize the water based on the unknown (high) CYA; 2) Is there any chance there is too much FC based on the CYA which could be harsh on the liner, clothing, or skin. All of this plus the fact that it is so hard for you to accurately test using so much reagent (drops). I know that is exhausting just for a SLAM FC of 28-31.

Here's the other variable - pH. That's very important for your comfort as well. But you can't accurately test pH when the FC is over 10, so at this rate you'll never know if the pH is correct because you have to maintain such a high FC level to keep-up with the CYA. It's a tough spot Elizabeth. It sure would make things easier if that CYA was at least just under 100 so you knew for sure what FC to maintain. :(

Also, by using our Poolmath calculator , it shows your pool should be about 23,800 gallons. You may want to validate that number on your end as it will be important later when calculating and adding chemicals.

I agree with TX Splash, this is truly uncharted territory. If you can more accurately measure your CYA, that would help. You last reading was 200ppm BUT you did a 1:1 dilution and got 100ppm. Unfortunately that's still at the testing limit so what you need to do is 1:2 dilution (1 part pool water and 2 parts distilled water) and then remeasure the CYA. Multiple the result by 3.

You can swim in pool water with high FC as long as you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio which is 7.5%. So, for example, if your water is truly 200ppm CYA than your target FC would be 15ppm. That's a lot of FC but it is doable.

As for pH, if you operate your pool between 15-20ppm FC, then you can measure your pH by the following method - take a sample of pool water and dilute it in half with DISTILLED WATER (it must be distilled water, not bottled water or tap water). SO that's a 1:1 dilution. Then measure your pH. Dilution with distilled water cuts the FC in half but doesn't shift the pH (for chemical reasons that I would try to explain right now). It's not as accurate as measuring pH when the FC is below 10ppm, but it works.

You can limp along until the end of the season and then drain and close your pool. BUT, be warned - with such a high CYA level you could open up next season to an ammonia problem. One thing that can happen (but not always) is that there are bacteria that develop in over-wintered pools that degrade CYA. It happens all the time and is normal. The pathway is that the CYA gets used as a food source and converted into ammonia. The ammonia builds up over the winter and then, when you open in the late spring next year, the excess ammonia causes a huge chlorine demand. You essentially have to keep adding chlorine until all of the ammonia is oxidized into CCs. SO closing with a high CYA can leave you with a bigger mess in the spring.

I feel badly for you about all this. The pool store really gave you bad advice. Use the winter to read up on TFP and you'll be much better off next year when you open.

Good luck,
Matt