Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POOL GREEN?? Update**

1. Back To Top    #1

POOL GREEN?? Update**

Update at bottom****

How has everyone been over the winter??
    Well, our pool has looked wonderful all winter then Thursday afternoon I cleaned the filter, lubed stuff etc. Friday, woke up and pool was a beautiful "green" color!! Can't get to my TF KIT because it's locked in store room..(can't find key..!!)

What I did: yesterday afternoon started running the pump24/7. Started with 5-8gal bleach last night, then a few more this morning..it's less green but still green. I'm going to clean the filter again in a little while. Am I on the right track? Anything else I should do??
    Thanks,
    Harry
    Trilogy "Fiberglass" Pool,
    15x34 8900 gal.
    Pentair 1hp Super-Flo Pump
    Pentair CC100 Cartridge Filter, Pentair "Legend" Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: POOL GREEN??

Have you tested your water lately to make sure the pool is balanced? I know you said you cant get to your test kit but perhaps you could take a sample to a pool store to get tested and post the numbers so we can take a look at them.

With out knowing what your CYA is at you may not be bringing the pool to a high enough shock level to kill the algae off.

Keep the filter running 24/7 and brush it a lot.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like you're on the right track You might want to take a look at this Pool School article pool-school/defeating_algae

Keep up with the bleach and cleaning the filter and you'll soon have a clear pool.

BTW - Find that key ASAP
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

FOUND THE KEY!!!

>TizMe Wrote:
    >Have you tested your water lately to make sure the pool is balanced?

I guess not like I should have!!

pH..6.5 (maybe a tad less)
    FC..solution goes pink but takes 50 drops or so to start to change...I stoped at 50
    TA..solution after 5 drops of R-0008 goes to yellow..after 0009, will not change to red
    CYA... 100

SO Folks, as the little fly said in the movie, "help-me"!

Thanks,
    Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

5. Back To Top    #5

8 gallons of 6% bleach will raise the FC level of 8,900 gallons by 55.5. It would appear that you added too much bleach. I think we can also safely say that the algae is all dead by now. It can still take the filter a couple of days to more than a week to clear up the water. You should see a visible improvement in the water each day if your filter is working.

There is a quick double check you can do on the CYA test to verify the results when the water is cloudy/murky. If you fill the CYA reading vial with straight pool water does the black dot disappear? If the black dot remains visible your CYA reading is plausible. If the black dot disappears, the CYA reading should not be trusted.

Assuming your CYA reading is correct, it is time to start replacing water to get your CYA level down.

When the FC level is really high (above 20) you should completely ignore the PH test results. It would have been really nice if you had done the PH test before adding bleach.

On the TA test, watch for a color change, not a specific color. So the change to yellow indicates the TA level. (The color tends to be yellow, instead of pink, when the FC level is high.) If I understand what you wrote, that means your TA level is 50. 50 is too low, raise your TA level to at least 70.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess I went into panic mode!!
    The tube filled with pool water is "very" clear.
    ( I have no main drain..I can only remove about 6" at at time unless I were to put a pump in)

>On the TA test, watch for a color change, not a specific color. So the change to yellow indicates the TA level. (The color tends to be >yellow, instead of pink, when the FC level is high.) If I understand what you wrote, that means your TA level is 50. 50 is too low, raise >your TA level to at least 70.[/quote]

I just did the TA again..after 5drops 0008..it goes heavy pink to red...the drops of 0009 don't seem to change anything.

???
    Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: POOL GREEN?? Have numbers

At this point, how can I get a TA level I can trust?
    Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: POOL GREEN?? Have numbers

Ah, I misunderstood your previous description of the TA test. If the test goes directly to red when you add the indicator it means your PH is very very low. Actually, that is consistent with the PH test, which normally reads very high when the FC level is high. The PH needs to be really low to overcome the FC interference and read below 8.2.

This is troublesome. If the PH really is that low you want to raise it right away. But the FC interference with the PH test is going to make that difficult. And there is always some possibility that we are interpreting something incorrectly and the PH isn't really that low.

One way to resolve the situation would be to experiment with a bucket of pool water and see if the treatment has the expected effect on the water in the bucket. If you want to try this, get a 5 gallon bucket mostly full of pool water and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, mix thoroughly, and then test the PH and TA of the water in the bucket. If the results are what I expect, a TA level around 50 to 80, that will verify your TA test technique and the assumption that the PH is currently very very low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: POOL GREEN?? Bucket test**

Bucket test:
    TA..80-90
    pH..still reads a tad under 6.8
    Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: POOL GREEN?? BUCKET TEST**

RED FLAG!

High chlorine levels will not cause ph to read low. It will cause the test to read HIGH so your pH is low and that was obvious from your first test even when your chlorine was above 50 ppm. Bring the pH up and let the FC drop. Once the Fc is low enough to get a good pH test then adjudt the pH properly. Once you get that done worry about the green water. Very low pH can and will do a LOT more damage than a green pool will!

My 2 cents!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

What type of testing are you doing for pH? Most only go down to 6.8.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

So waterbear, based on all I've said so far..at this point I should add around 8-10lbs borax?
    Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    What type of testing are you doing for pH? Most only go down to 6.8.
    It's your kit...I just said under 6.8 because it was a tad lighter than bottom color.
    Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok...should I add about 5lbs borax to bring pH up and then wait awhile..
    Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Bring the pH up
    Indeed, but what is a good way to do that when you can't measure the actual PH because of FC interference? The FC level isn't going to fall enough to stop interfering any time soon.

HarryMichael, that means that you are able to measure TA correctly, which is good, and that the PH is very very low, which is bad.

You need to bring the PH up. Normally I would suggest that you add perhaps 1 lb of soda ash at a time, till the PH gets into a measurable range. But if we can't measure the PH in a meaningful way, we need to guess. Doing a bunch of math on the results you gave so far I calculate that you are going to need about 4 lbs of soda ash/washing soda in 8,900 gallons to get the PH into range. Alternatively, 7 lbs of borax and and 3 lbs of baking soda. But there is a fair bit of uncertainty on that (because none of the measurements are exact and the required PH shift is huge).

16. Back To Top    #16

Bring the pH up until your test measures around 8.2(the pH should now beat 6.8 or above 6.8 because when the chlorine is very high phenol red is converted to chlorophenol red,which has exactly the same color changes as phenol red but does it at a pH range of 4.6 to 6.8 instead of 6.8 to 8.2). Your pH might go to high but if you creep up on it you should not overshoot by much. A slightly high pH for a short period of time is going to do less damage than the extremely low pH you currently have.
    One lb of soda ash or 2 lbs of borax per 10k gallons, wait about 1hour and retest pH....repeat until pH reads 8.2. Soda ash is going to be more effective and will raise your TA more but you can overshoot on the TA and need to lower it a bit after everything else is done.
    I would use the soda ash if it were my pool under these conditions ,btw.

My question is how did the pH end up getting this low? Have you been using trichlor? Other than accidentally overdosing with acid I can think of no other way the pH and TA can drop that low!

17. Back To Top    #17

Waterbear wrote >I would use the soda ash if it were my pool under these conditions

I thought soda ash was borax??

Thanks and I will get back a little later..
    Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMichael
    Waterbear wrote >I would use the soda ash if it were my pool under these conditions

I thought soda ash was borax??

Thanks and I will get back a little later..
    Harry
    Nope, Soda ash is sodium carbonate, borax is sodium tetraborate.
    Soda ash is what is commonly sold as pH increaser. It is also sold as Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (a cleaning agent and laundry booster) in the laundry aisle of most grocery stores. Do NOT confuse it with Arm and Hammer laundry detergent! It is also called sal soda or washing soda, btw.

Do not confuse it with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) either. They are NOT the same.

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: POOL GREEN?? **Update**

Hello to all.. As of this morning numbers are:
    pH- 7.8
    TA- 80
    CYA- 100
    FC- still off the chart (Mega amounts)

Saturday I started with Borax (because I had it and if you want soda ash..gotta get it from pool store). By Sat night used about 6lbs. By Sunday AM the pool was "clear" but pH was still very low and TA around 40. (Stopped checking chlorine). Used next box of borax. Sunday evening, pH 7.2
    Monday..went to wal-mart and bought some pH +, (sodium bicarb)...Used around a 1-1/2 lb. during the day and my numbers are as posted above.
    My next step I guess is watch and wait for the chlorine level to come down then go from there.

Anything else I should do at this point????

(Waterbear...you asked how it got to that point... Two-three weeks ago we have the most rain we have had in years. It rained for almost two weeks in a row! Hard rain. Pool over-flowed twice..five times the rain than the last hurricane we had here last year. So I guess that was it).

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP!!!

Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

20. Back To Top    #20

Re: POOL GREEN?? Update**

All that rain and your CYA is 100

What was it before the rain?

So what else to do... is the water still green?
    Keep shocking until
    Your FC holds overnight (or you lose less than 1ppm)
    Your CC is less than .5
    Your water is clear.

Remember to maintain your FC according to the CYA chart.... to keep the greenies away. That means NEVER let it drop below the minimum recommended for your CYA or about 7ppm FC.

Even after all your PH/TA work you may still want to consider eventually trying to lower that CYA to a more manageable number.....which might mean more adjusting on the PH/TA. Have you tested your fill water/tap water?

What is your forecast, will you get more rain over the coming month?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast