Is a Taylor k2006 reliable

Aug 26, 2015
Vernonia Oregon
I have been taking care of my pool for several years now and have always done my own testing with a Taylor 2005 test kit. Recently some of the reagents ran out so a purchased a Taylor k2006 most the tests are the same except the chlorine which now uses the powder. On my old test kit my chlorine always stayed around 3 but with the new test kit it puts it at 6 and I initially tried to bring the chlorine down but it didn't change the readings at all. I have read the directions through multiple times and have watched some videos so I know I am doing the test correctly. Does anyone know how reliable the Taylor 2006 kit is?
Ps I have been swimming in the pool and I believe if the chlorine was really that high I would be able to smell it way more.

I am going to bookmark this as a good example of the limitations of the DPD test, it just cannot be held to the same standard as the FAS-DPD test. You really got an upgrade with the 2006. Pro tip: You can use 10 ml of water and 1 scoop of powder with the test and count each drop as 0.5 ppm. This saves reagents and is usually enough precision.

As jblizzle said, FC and CYA are very important. Just as an example, I maintain 50 CYA and so my FC is regularly 6 but we don't smell or feel it due to the buffering effect of CYA. It is extremely nice compared to those pools we know that do not follow the FC/CYA ratio. For reference this is the chart we use: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Since you were off by a factor of two, the first thought that popped into my head was that you were using a 10 ml water sample but not multiplying the number of drops by 0.5 (or dividing by 2 which is the same thing), but you say you are following the instructions correctly so that then would not be the problem.

Well, raise the TA up like I said (use PoolMath to calculate dosages).

Then since the water is cloudy now, that tends to point to algae problems and you likely need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process which according to the FC/CYA Chart will require maintaining a FC level of 24ppm.

BTW, after the SLAM is done, with a CYA of 60ppm, you must keep the FC above 5ppm at all times.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.