Convert now or later?

MolliesDollies

Silver Supporter
Aug 26, 2015
Coudersport, PA
I have an above ground Baquacil pool. After spending over $500 in chemicals last summer, and my kids only swimming in it for 5 days because of the cold weather, I decided not to open it at all this summer. It has been another cold summer until two weeks ago, so that was a good decision! In the spring we will be getting a ng heater, so the pool will be back in business! But I am definitely going to convert to chlorine!!!!

So my question is: Shall I convert now, or just wait until the spring?

We didn't even take our filter out of storage for this summer, so it isn't connected... I would have to hook it up. But, dh had taken the winter cover off, and put on the solar cover in the spring. We haven't taken the solar cover off at all, or added any chemicals this summer. I peeked, and it doesn't look too green, probably because of the freakishly cold summer. I'm thinking it makes the most sense to just cover it back up for the winter and start new in the spring. Hopefully most of the Baq is gone after a year of no new chemicals. But part of me is worried about the no chemicals thing going into winter. What do you think is my best move?

Thank you Leebo! I've lurked for awhile until I finally decided to bite the bullet and convert!
I just added a signature, but its a 20 ft round above ground pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I also remembered another question: Should I buy the TF-100 kit now, or wait until the spring? will the reagents be fresh in a spring batch?
Thank you!

Thank you Leebo! I've lurked for awhile until I finally decided to bite the bullet and convert!
I just added a signature, but its a 20 ft round above ground pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I also remembered another question: Should I buy the TF-100 kit now, or wait until the spring? will the reagents be fresh in a spring batch?
Thank you!

The TF-100 makes a great stocking stuffer ... :rendeer:

From what you've described about not even hooking up your equipment this year, I'd say, in my opinion, you'd be better off waiting until next year. Not only would you have to deal with getting the equipment setup and fixing any issues there, then you'd have to go through the conversion process. By the time you did all that, you'd be trying to close the pool before the snow hits. As long as nothing major is wrong with the pool, you can just let it sit until next year. While you wait you can read all of the awesome information on TFP and make plans for biggest chemistry experiment you'll every do in your life, a Baq-to-chlorine conversion!! I've heard the color transitions are sometimes amazing to photograph.

Welcome :wave:

Baquacil colors and "goo" are proportionate to how much oxidizer and sanitizer/algaestat are in the water. If the water hasn't been treated for a year+, the conversion may be closer to a typical SLAM.

I have the same advice. If you haven't hooked up anything this year, I'd wait. However, when you say your water is "not too green," it gives me pause. It certainly depends on you definition of "not to green," but BQ pools can go from not too green to very green rather easily, in my experience.

Thank you for the advise! I am going to put my aquabot in to clean up the bottom, then put the winter cover back on. The weather has already turned nippy, and the leaves are changing, so I think its time to close it up before it gets full of leaves! I'm excited and afraid to do the conversion in the spring!!
Thank you for this awesome site, and for answering my questions so quickly! I have confidence in doing the switch because of all of you!
Mollie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.