My Bright Idea?

Jun 12, 2012
Escondido, CA.
Ive had small particles floating in my water for sometime now.. Mostly pollen and Dust I suspected so I was looking for a solution to the problem.

I read about the "ScumSock" thing and purchased myself a 1 micron filter off Amazon for 20 bucks. I tried using it by attaching it to one of my return ports.. but because I have three returns I was only capturing only about 1/3 of the returning water at best.

So.. I set to thinking of a way to optimize the process.... Its a dangerous thing me thinking...

I wanted to put a filter in line someplace where I would catch as much of the water as possible. I thought abut my skimmer but the problem there is sometimes I'm using my pool bottom cleaner and the filter could not be used.
Then I thought I could buy a "Leaf Catcher" to put inline with the bottom cleaner...but then It would be there when I wasn't using the cleaner.

So I thought some more... working back up the system I started looking at my pump basket.. and thought it would be the perfect spot.

So I fashioned a template from some paper and cut out a template that would fit the inside of the basket. I cut up the filter material using the template and got a needle and thread and stitched up a "sock" that fits INSIDE the basket.

So now I'm filtering out 100% of all the water that passes thru my system. I later placed in a large gauge mesh screen to make cleaning the small leaves etc from the filter material quicker.

In one nights filtering (I run all night ~10 hours at about 1500 rpm ie slowly) Ive removed about 3/4 of the particles in the water

My next move is to use plastic rivets to secure the fabric in place and permanently to the basket (the fabric moves a bit when under a full speed run) and to use that basket (I have two baskets now one normal and a second with the sock) only occasionally to polish the water as needed and only run at about 1/2 speed.

Ive been monitoring my flow rates and pressures.. all are right where they were before using the sock. I am a bit worried that if the sock should get a heavy load of "stuff" that there might be a small problem with flow rates.. so Im keeping a eye on the system for that.. all in all I pretty happy

I'm no expert, but I know when leaves and stuff get stuck in my Pump basket that I'll lose pressure, so you'll have that problem because the filter will catch most things.

I bet you'll be fine if you're diligent and keep an eye out on things, but the filter would pick up more things and get full vs. normal. You could also just have this filter when things get wonky and take it off for normal use?

We don't usually suggest anything is the pump filter for exactly the reason mgoblue mentions. I would hate to have you, have to replace the pump or at least rebuild it, because it ran dry for too long. Or heaven forbid it gets sucked into the impeller.

The sock is INSIDE the basket so there is no chance of the material coming loose and clogging.

That said debris is a problem and a worry. I do have a leaf catcher inline with my bottom cleaner and when I'm not using the bottom cleaner I use a basket (with a panty hose stretched over it to catch small stuff) in the skimmer.. so not much ever really gets to the pump basket at all.

Like I said.. I'm thinking that I'm not going to have to use this setup too much or too often anyway except when I notice that Ive got "floaters" or after I use a flocculant

Hello, It sounds like it's working well for you :).

I'm always personally hesitant to put anything into the actual pump basket itself because should it clog you could have a pressure/water flow issue risking damage to your pump as you and mgoblue have already mentioned. But Also should whatever you put in there get loose it is only a short distant for it to lodge in the impeller, or pump itself which could cost a lot of money to repair.

I also read somewhere, not sure where now, (I'll post my source later if I can locate it again), that putting a knee high on the return jet will have about the same effect on small particle filtration, as the scum sock, at of course a much lower cost, (I've not ever tried it, but I do use a knee high in my Skimmer Basket. Here's an thread that I wrote on the benefit of that. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-on-the-town-or-a-Winter-hunting-trip-anymore

You might want to try either using a knee high on the other 2 of the 3 return ports that doesn't have the scum sock on it, and/or in the skimmer basket too, to help decrease the chances of possible damage in the future to your equipment? I hope this helps. I agree putting things like that in your pool are awesome for helping to clear the fine particles. :) Have a wonderful day.

EDIT and as Pabeader mentioned as well too. :)

With respect to Knee Highs.. I was in the pool store the other day and they're selling "Micro filter Covers" for skim baskets fro 10 bucks.. I told the guy I use panty hose for the same purpose.. but I get 6 for 5 bucks.. he was not happy

I never have seen the knee hig remove this much stuff yet.. mainly dog hair (we have two Golden's) and bugs and very small leaves

LOL Of course he wasn't happy, you not buying his overpriced items is money out of his pocket, and food off of his table.

I did recently buy a 3 pack of skimmer socks at Lowe's for either $4.95 or $5.95 (which isn't a bad price on those. Then just rinse and reuse as long as algae isn't present). I got them because I'm still working on my comparisons of different items from the pantyhose thread to determine which one actually does a better job.

Having 5 dogs myself, I completely understand about the dog hair issue, but wouldn't trade my sweet little fur babies for nothing. :)

EDIT: I did however think when I started reading your comment that you were going to say "With respect to Knee Highs.. I was in the pool store the other day and they're selling" THEM in there LOL.

So.. a little follow up.. 3 days into this experiment...

The water is amazing! Its nearly Olympic pool clear.. I went "dippin" last night and the water was so clear in the moon light I could see across all 40' of the pool underwater... I plan to pull the filter out sunday and go back to my std filter arramgement.. but this is going on my monthly pool care sequence.. on week with the "scrubber" in.

I'll take pic's of the filter after a week and post

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.