New pool, with a leak??

I'm looking for some educated input. Background: We just had an inground pool built, finished a little over a month ago. Almost immediately I noticed that there was a leak. We were losing at a rate of 1/2 inch per day. The builder came, pressure tested the pipes, got in the pool, said he found the leak. A plug in the main drain wasn't fitted in properly. But a day later we are still losing water at the same rate, absolutely no change. He came again. Put a sealant around where the skimmer meets the pool and took out the light and sealed things up there. Now we are losing water at 1/4 inch a day. He believes that is likely due to evaporation. My instincts are telling me something else is still wrong. We put a bucket in the pool to rule out evap, and it took a few days but the level of the pool is now lower than that of the bucket.

So now my main question:

I backwashed the other day, it had been about a week since it had been done, first time I did it myself. The water leaving the filter was extremely dirty, it took several minutes, and several runs, for it to run clear. Then I rinsed for several seconds, twice. I realized I forgot to buy DE so I turned off the pump. The next day I turned the pump on and added DE to the skimmer. DE wasnt going though, I remembered I had turned off the skimmers before backwashing because the level had gotten low. So I turn the skimmers back on and the water coming from the skimmer pipes into the pump basket was brown. Like muddy water brown. Then white and cloudy when the DE gets there.

What are the possible explanations for the water in the skimmer pipes to have gotten so filled with dirt?

Also after the pressure test, one of the skimmer baskets and that entire compartment was stained light brown, with a layer of dirt at the bottom of the skimmer area. What is likely going on with all this? I"m concerned I have a cracked skimmer pipe.

1/4" a day doesn't sound bad, and agree it could just be evaporation, have you re-did the bucket test since?

the dirty water from the skimmer doesn't sound right, I agree there. have you been able to replicate this? or was it a one time thing?

This was about a week ago. I was hoping to have the builder here for the next backwash, get his opinion on if the amount of dirt in the filter was normal. My dad is a pool owner and he was shocked by how long it took to run clean (He was there when I did it). Also I have the skimmers off so the builder will be there when I turn the skimmers on again. But I don't yet have a meeting scheduled with him. The pressure gauge on the filter is still in the normal range.

I'll turn the skimmers on now and see if there is dirt.

not sure, I would definitely run another bucket test to confirm no leaks. 1/4" per day in hot weather seems ordinary for evaporation, but bucket test is only way to confirm

any chance when you were backwashing you accidently didn't backwash to waste??

No, is it possible to not backwash to waste? I watched the water from the filter go out the waste pipe and then I rinsed and that water went out the waste pipe. There is about a half inch difference between the bucket water level and the pool water level (after two days) . Bucket is on the top step of the pool and we haven't been in the pool in two days. I actually have two buckets gong right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.