Solar cover, rain & leaves

kschmidt1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2015
Grandy, NC
Finally enjoying pool after stabilizer problems. All good now. Have decided to put solar cover on to continue using pool while temps start to cool. Few leaves and blown in debris from quick storm last nite on cover. Expectations if we just dump cover into pool while removing to use, besides vacuuming dirt and leaves? Will leaf/water "soup" start anything? Check FC every nite and add what's been lost during day and run pump 24/7.

Thanks.

It is always best to keep as much foreign material out of one's pool but sometimes it just can't be helped. I think I'd try removing the cover as careful as possible to minimize dumping of accumulated debris but don't freak if you completely fail at this. Perhaps run the filter a bit longer and test the water a tad more just in case. Leaves from trees tend to be acidic as they soak in water so if anything, perhaps your pH might go down a tad but most folks fight pH rising so it may not be a big deal.

I cover my pool every night (pool sees a lot of shade during the day), when I open in the morning I skim out anything big, otherwise I don't fret over it.

As long as you maintain a proper FC/CYA ratio you will be fine. I use the recommended FC target as my minimum FC, and target 1-2ppm above that because of all the debris from the trees overhead (my 5yo calls it "tree-bris").

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.