intex 16ft start-up questions

Aug 26, 2015
Glastonbury, CT
Hi,

New to the forum and already a big fan. I have been reading as much as I can.

Bought an Intex 16ft x 48in pool on summer clearance recently. Looking to set it up tonight and use it a few times before the season is over and then probably break it down and store it in the basement for the winter.

Bought a TF-100 test kit, but it won't be here till Monday. Bought some Clorox regular unscented bleach and some 20 Mule Team Borax so far.

Located in CT.

1) Any recommendations on a test kit that I can buy locally that will be useful for starting up until the TF-100 test kit gets here?
2) Any tips that you wish you knew before you started your first pool up?
3) Can anyone point me to a list of start-up instructions when it comes to pool chemistry? Ideally, starting with day 1.

This is our first pool. Looking to get our feet wet before we think about putting in a larger in-ground pool in the next few years.

Thanks,
Brandon

[h=2][/h]

Wal Mart sells an HTH 6-way test kit for about $25 that can be used to get you started. It's the only one I've found locally that includes a CYA test, which is essential.

Its shortcoming is that it doesn't have the FAS/DPD test necessary to measure the high levels of FC needed to perform a SLAM. But as long as you maintain the pool well enough to avoid an algae outbreak, you can get by with it.

Since I have the same pool, my other suggestions would be (in this order):

1) replace the cartridge filter with a sand/filter and pump. Get the 1600 gph at a minimum. Bigger is better.

2) get the KrystalClear SWG standalone model, not the combo unit built into the pump. I love my SWG. I have everything on an external timer, and the only thing I add to my pool regularly is a little muriatic acid to bring the pH down. I run the pool on less than $100/year.

3) get a Hayward thru-the-wall skimmer. It will keep your pool much cleaner, and comes with an adapter to hook up a real vacuum. Don't be afraid to cut a hole in the liner. Hundreds of us have done it, and I've never heard of anyone screwing it up.

4). I would reconsider storing the pool over the winter. It seems that most people that develop leaks take them down each year. I read about people who leave them up even in climates as cold as CT and don't usually have any problems as long as you winter proof the plumbing.

Oh and make sure your ground prep is LEVEL TO WITHIN 1". Otherwise be prepared to drain and do it all over again.

Wal Mart sells an HTH 6-way test kit for about $25 that can be used to get you started. It's the only one I've found locally that includes a CYA test, which is essential.

Its shortcoming is that it doesn't have the FAS/DPD test necessary to measure the high levels of FC needed to perform a SLAM. But as long as you maintain the pool well enough to avoid an algae outbreak, you can get by with it.

Since I have the same pool, my other suggestions would be (in this order):

1) replace the cartridge filter with a sand/filter and pump. Get the 1600 gph at a minimum. Bigger is better.
2) get the KrystalClear SWG standalone model, not the combo unit built into the pump. I love my SWG. I have everything on an external timer, and the only thing I add to my pool regularly is a little muriatic acid to bring the pH down. I run the pool on less than $100/year.
3) get a Hayward thru-the-wall skimmer. It will keep your pool much cleaner, and comes with an adapter to hook up a real vacuum. Don't be afraid to cut a hole in the liner. Hundreds of us have done it, and I've never heard of anyone screwing it up.
4). I would reconsider storing the pool over the winter. It seems that most people that develop leaks take them down each year. I read about people who leave them up even in climates as cold as CT and don't usually have any problems as long as you winter proof the plumbing.

Oh and make sure your ground prep is LEVEL TO WITHIN 1". Otherwise be prepared to drain and do it all over again.

Thank you for the info and tips. Much appreciated!

-Brandon

Fill the pool. Get some CYA, some times called stabilizer. Put in enough, usually put in a sock and hung by filter output, to get around a CYA of about 30. Use the pool calculator to put in the right amount of bleach. A pool that size will use about 16 oz of bleach a day.

You will need to make sure the ground is level. If you have access to a transit, it's helpful. Putting some type of block under each leg post is helpful, too, to keep it from sinking. (Flush with the ground.)

Take a look at this, very useful for running a seasonal pool, especially with only a few weeks left in the swimming season.
Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

We always take down our pool and store it for the winter; never had leak troubles as a result. However, not a direct comparison, as the ring top pools may have a thicker material than the liner in a frame pool. Just a note, for your consideration - taking down, cleaning, drying, folding up a seasonal pool is quite a bit of work - taking down and preparing our pool for storage is always much more work than setting it up at beginning of summer.

Leveling the ground is very important, as others have noted - that initial step can be very labor intensive if you don't already have a convenient level area.

Check my signature,
there is a link to my intex pool build. If you are just going to put it up for a short while, I would keep things simple. You can use the stock pump and filter for a little bit and then upgrade next year or look for clearance stuff now and install next year. The ground being level is the most important. The hth kit at Walmart will keep you going for a bit until you get your TF100

jeffchap: I also have a 16x48 Intex ultra frame and I'm looking into the Intex SWG and sand filter. Curious why you recommend the separate SWG and Sand Filter vs. the combo type units?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One or the other of them will eventually fail first, leaving you with the need to replace both of them if you have the combo unit.

Just bought my Intex 16 x 48 today on clearance for 119.00! This thread is a life-saver! I think we will put it up next year and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your idea with how you have set yours up! How many years has your pool been up during the winter? Do you drain it halfway each year at closing? I am in Northwest Indiana area and curious if I should take it down due to snow. Thank you

If you're talking to me, here's my build thread: Dimension at the ground for Intex 16' Ultra frame pool.

I've had the sandbox platform for 4 years now, but this is only my second year with this particular pool. I upgraded from a 14' to a 16' last year.

Yes, I left it up over the winter. I drained just below the skimmer and stored the pump and hoses indoors. This worked okay, except I need to find a better way to support my cover this year to keep it from sagging and filling up with leaves and muck. But it held up okay. I have only a few minor rust spots that I plan to touch up prior to closing up for the winter.

Considering the cost, I figure if I get 3 years out of one of these pools, I've done well. This one is near the end of its 2nd season, with no signs of any problems yet.

I have kept my previous pools up all year round, this is the first year with this pool but will leave it up during the winter like Jeff, I don't have snow in my area just the cold. I do drain the pool below the inlets and dry all equipment and store in my shed during the winter.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way great price on the pool, this is always the best time of the year to purchase pool equipment

If you're talking to me, here's my build thread: Dimension at the ground for Intex 16' Ultra frame pool.

I've had the sandbox platform for 4 years now, but this is only my second year with this particular pool. I upgraded from a 14' to a 16' last year.

Yes, I left it up over the winter. I drained just below the skimmer and stored the pump and hoses indoors. This worked okay, except I need to find a better way to support my cover this year to keep it from sagging and filling up with leaves and muck. But it held up okay. I have only a few minor rust spots that I plan to touch up prior to closing up for the winter.

Considering the cost, I figure if I get 3 years out of one of these pools, I've done well. This one is near the end of its 2nd season, with no signs of any problems yet.

Thank you! We are doing research now and plan on buying a new filter/ pump as well as the skimmer.

Just bought my Intex 16 x 48 today on clearance for 119.00! This thread is a life-saver! I think we will put it up next year and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your idea with how you have set yours up! How many years has your pool been up during the winter? Do you drain it halfway each year at closing? I am in Northwest Indiana area and curious if I should take it down due to snow. Thank you

I also got the 16x48 for $119 recently. It took a bit of work to find one in stock but well worth it. I also purchased a sand + saltwater combo system for $269 (Amazon.com : Intex 28681EG 120V 16-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Garden) shortly afterwards. Thinking I was going to set it up for the last couple months of California swim weather, but I think I'm going to wait til next year as well.

As jeffchap mentioned with the combo unit if the filter or swg fails then you risk having to replace the entire unit. Also this combo unit has the copper piece in the swg that some folks are disconnecting to avoid copper in the pool. So I did rush the purchase of this combo unit a bit, but I'll keep it, it has a 2 year warranty. If I have a bad experience, I'll go with separate units next time. Too costly to return the item at this point.

I believe one plus with this combo unit is there is only one timer. When the pump is on, the swg is also on. I don't have to worry about getting the separate timers aligned. Not sure if it is a big deal having separate timers to deal with, I don't have the experience. Perhaps this could also be a negative if I want to run pump longer than the swg?

Also I think there is only one power cord with this combo unit. This could be a plus.

If you want the separate sand filter and swg, Walmart has what seems to be good prices on both. Plus this SWG should be the newer model without the copper.

$155 Sand Filter 2150gph Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - Walmart.com
$115 SWG Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, 15,000 Gallon - Walmart.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.